Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

how to correct fault code po602 on 2003 dodge cummins

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. Do you have a programmer or chip on the truck? Have you cleared the code, and does it return if you do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have set computer back to normal from performance setting with Bully Dog programmer.
Truck feels like it starts out in second gear. Now the code is po700. I have a OTC code reader.
Ok. Recheck for codes. The p0602 shouldn't affect the trans. The p0700 is a generic code that means there is a trans code stored in the other controller on the truck. Try your code read again to see if anything else comes up. You can also try this. Cycle the key from off to on and watch the digital odometer display. After the last key cycle they will display one at a time on the cluster. This may or may not give you anything different than the reader. I'm not sure why the reader didn't give you more, it should be fully capable of giving you everything in the Cummins and powertrain controllers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only code that shows up is po700 both with the OTC code reader and by cycling the key.
Ok. In that case you need a scan tool or try a different code reader. There is a seperate controller on your truck that controls charging, cruise, a/c, and trans functions. Your code reader is not picking anything up from it for some reason. Almost all parts stores will check codes for free. If their reader also won't work, you'll need to find someone with a scan tool to read the codes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there another point on the truck to plug in a scanner or is it the same place I have been using? (under the dash near the steering wheel)
No. Since 1996 all data link connectors have had to be the same shape and place, federally mandated. There is no more than one connector anymore. You are in the right spot, but the code reader just is not reading the other controller.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have a parts store extract codes for me. Where is the other controller physically located? I know where the engine controller is located.
Its mounted on the passenger side firewall, right behind the a/c accumulator. Whenever you get the codes just post back here and I'll get back to you just as soon as I can.