Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

P1740 TCC Or OD Solenoid Performance on my 2000 dodge durango

P1740 TCC Or OD Solenoid Performance on my 2000 dodge durango what do you think the problem is in plain english
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2000 Dodge Durango 4wd 5.2 litter

Already Tried:
P1740 TCC Or OD Solenoid Performance my mechanic did not know what that code mean. He needs to charge me an extra $90.00 for diagnostic test. I went online and find out that the code means (TCC or OD Solenoid Performance) I need to know exactly what that means.
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Essentially this fault code is telling you that the computer failed to recognize that the torque converter was doing what it is supposed to do.

Although the computer requested the converter to operate, nothing happened. Hence, the computer assumes there is a problem with the solenoid that operates the converter and sets the code.

So, you could indeed have a solenoid that is not working anymore or you could have an issue with the torque converter itself. I hope that helps you understand this a bit better. If you need further assistance just reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what is a solenoid in plain english or a torque converter how much would it cost me to fix and how much the part cost on average.

A solenoid is basically an electrical on off switch that controls the flow of transmission fluid.

A torque converter is a fluid coupler that joins the engine to the transmission.

Depending on what you need done, a solenoid repair could run $2-300 whereas a torque converter repair could run $2000.