moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp
13195827

dodge ram turns over but wont start no spark changed the crank

dodge ram turns over but wont start no spark changed the crank sensor and it still reads code 11 ??? also for some reason my dash lights will come on but my running lights wont? is it safe to say ecu?? 1997 2500 4x4
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1997 Dodge ram 2500 5.9 gas

Already Tried:
crank shaft sensor
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
No I would not replace the ecu if you are still able to read codes it most likely is not the ecu code 11 will also setif the dist pickup plate goes bad.I would remove the dist cap and rotor and remove the plate and make sure the reluctor wheel on the dist is not broken if it is good I would replace the dist pick up plate first.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
should i still do that even tho i have no power at the coil?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
Yes you will not have power to the coil if it does not see a crank signal and it gets this signal from the pickup plate and crank sensor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for all the ? but its broke down in the middle of nowere lol. if i do that do i need to reset the the timeing? is it smarter to buy the hole new distubutor? the part your talkin is 55$ i can get the hole new distuibutor for 89$ just need to know what easyer
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
If you just replace the pickup you will not need to reset the timing if you replace the dist you will. If the reluctor whell is not broken I would just replace the pickup plate. If I have helped you please hit the accept button. and thank you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

whats the pick up plate ? were do it get that? if the relutor is broke does timeing need reset?

Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
the pick up plate is inside the dist once you remove the dist cap and rotor it is the black part in the dist the reluctor wheel is under it and is part of the dist.so if the reluctor wheel is broken you will have to replace the dist and the timing will need to be reset
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank you if all that is good whats the next step?
Expert:  moparfl replied 5 years ago.
you will need to do some more testing but this is most likely your problem. after hitting the accept button you can let me know after you make these repairs if you still need help.this will keep the posting from timing out. Thanks
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Gold level Chrysler Status 30 years dealership exp