Daves22
Daves22, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE 31 years Dodge vehicle repair experiance

2001 dodge: leather seats my seat heater quit working..relay

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge ram with leather seats my seat heater quit working on both seats, I changed the relay for the seat heaters but still no lights on the switch come on and the seats do not heat up,any suggestions? Thanks Lonnie
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

2001 Dodge ram3500 5.9 cummins

Already Tried:
I have changed the seat heater relay,I have power to the switch but nothing to the relay, I thought maybe it would be the switch but both seat heaters stopped working at the same time
Expert:  Daves22 replied 5 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer
Check the # XXXXX (15AMP) fuse in the junction block fuse panel.Thanks for being a justanswer customer Dave

graphic

graphic
graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked the #1 fuse again the fuse is good
Expert:  Daves22 replied 5 years ago.
Lonni,
Check the # XXXXX circuit breaker & fuse #11(10AMP) junction block fuse panel.If it's ok you will need to made the tests in the list below.Thanks for being a justanswer customer Dave
graphic

RELAY CIRCUIT TEST

1. The relay common feed terminal cavity (30) is connected to battery voltage and should be hot at all times. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the fused B(+) fuse in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) as required.
  2. The relay normally closed terminal (87A) is connected to terminal 30 in the de-energized position, but is not used for this application. Go to Step 3.
  3. The relay normally open terminal (87) is connected to the common feed terminal (30) in the energized position. This terminal supplies battery voltage to the heated seat module. There should be continuity between the cavity for relay terminal 87 and the B(+) to heated seat module circuit cavity of the heated seat module wire harness connector at all times. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open B(+) to heated seat module circuit to the heated seat module as required.
  4. The coil battery terminal (86) is connected to the electromagnet in the relay. It is connected to battery voltage and should be hot at all times. Check for battery voltage at the cavity for relay terminal 86. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the fused B(+) fuse in the PDC as required.
  5. The coil ground terminal (85) is connected to the electromagnet in the relay. It is grounded by the premium version of the Central Timer Module in response to an engine speed message received over the Chrysler Collision Detection (CCD) data bus from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the engine is running. Check for continuity between the cavity for relay terminal 85 and the heated seat relay control circuit cavity of the CTM wire harness connector. There should be continuity at all times. If OK, use a DRB III scan tool and the proper diagnostic procedures to test the operation of the CTM and CCD data bus. If not OK, repair the open heated seat relay control circuit as required. For addtional testing please refer to Powertrain Management/Computers and Controls
graphic