sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

1999 dodge dakota sport tail lights do not work

Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. do you have license plate bulbs working? Do the park lamps in the front work? Do you have a test light to do some testing?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
License plate lights do not work. Lamps in front do work. I do not have a test light.
Ok. If you have checked all of the fuses our next step is to do some testing with a test light to see if the headlamp switch is even sending power back there, and then to find the problem if it is in the wiring. If you can get a hold of a test light we can get this figures out. They aren't expensive, you can pick them up at a hardware store, parts store, or WalMart.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I got a test light. It does not light up when tail lights are turned on.
Ok. Start by removing the headlamp switch. Check for power on the black/yellow wire wtih the park lamps on. If you don't have power, check the pink/red wire. If its ok and there is no power on the black/yellow, replace the headlamp switch. If you do have power coming out let me know and we will have to find a break in the wire. If you don't have power on the pink/red wire double check fuse 14 in the box inside the dash.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do have power and I checked fuse. Something I forgot to ask. I have automatic start up and when I signal it to start the front and back parking lights use to flash, but now just the front. Might the automatic start up have something to do with the problem?
That complicates this. Aftermarket remote starts cause tons of problems, many times from installation procedures being low quality. Pull the knee blocker and take a look at all the remote start wiring. Make sure its all intact, try and find the black/yellow wire from the headlamp switch you just tested, you should find that it is tapped into by the remote start. Make sure you don't have a connection that is pulled apart. Also make sure you have power down there on that wire with the park lamps on. If everything is ok we'll go to looking for a broken wire.