sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2002 Dodge Neon: 2.0L with an Automatic Transmission..idling..2000 rpm

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Neon, 2.0L with an Automatic Transmission. There appears to be a small clicking sound coming from the engine when the car is started. I can hear better when it is idling, but over 2000 RPM it is harder to hear. since the engine is so loud to begin with. Have you seen anything similar?   Thanks
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. There is actually a bit of normal engine noise in these. They are known for normal piston slap. This happens when the piston is a bit big for its bore and it makes noise as it changes direction after top dead center or bottom dead center. This noise doesn't hurt anything or affect engine life one bit. If it was a rod knock it would get louder when you raise the rpms. You may have a lifter making noise, but its very rare. This would be from the top of the engine area.