Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

How do I remove the dash on 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition

How do I remove the dash on 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn Edition to access the defroster motor to replace trap doors?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Hello a clinesmith. You sir, have a project ahead of you. Here are two procedures. One is for the removal of the dash, and the second is for the removal of the mode door motor. Take your time and good luck.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are trying to replace AB Housing. We are having trouble getting to it-we have the part to install, but can't get to it.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
Well this procedure will get you there. It's a huge undertaking but completely doable if you stay organized and take your time. A second person will be needed to move the dash out of the truck. You are basically leaving the dash as a whole with most of the accessories installed, so it's not as bad as you think. Just take your time.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could you explain how to remove the dash we have removed all screws along with the passenger airbag.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.
I would love to, but I would have to follow the first procedure step by step to do so. That first procedure is extremely detailed and if you print it and follow it through it will get you right through it without removing more than you need too. I'm going to resend it, 1/2 for the removal and 1/2 for the install. I think the file is too large since it's so long. Look a the next 2 posts.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Here is the disassembly:

graphic

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Here is the reassembly:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
By looking at the diagrams, it doesn't seem to be what we are needing...we have part#68004226-ab housing a 24028025, it has a motor on the side of it. we cannot get the dash to release so we can access it.
Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

I am enclosing the removal info for the passenger side air bag. I will also include the info for the HVAC box removal because if you are going to change the air door itself, you are going to have to open the box. Also if all of the bolts shown in the illustrations are out the dash should dislodge itself, there are many, so don't overlook any, go step by step. If it's stuck, there has to be something that was overlooked.

graphic

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Here is the HVAC housing disassembly and the next post will be the removal.

graphic

Expert:  Ivan replied 5 years ago.

Here is the removal of the housing

graphic

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show