sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1999 dakota: after i replace my timing chain that snaped

How do i re- time my 1999 dakota 3.9 after i replace my timing chain that snaped, Just turn over..... Justin Dupont
Hi. You install the chain with the marks dot to dot. The dot on the crank gear will be pointing up, and dot on the cam pointing down. The torque on the cam sprocket bolt is 50 ft lbs.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
These only went on one way no dots on gear or chain just a key way on both gears to install one way. Justin
There should be a dot on each pulley. The keyway on the crank pulley does not correspond to top dead center on this engine. You have to line up the dots to put this engine in time. There are dots on one side of the pulley or the other, make sure you didn't put them on inside out and can't see the dots. If you don't have dots, get your money back and get a different brand of gears!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Found the engraved dots. how do you line them up, turn the engine by hand?
Yes, turn the engine over by hand with the crank damper bolt back in the crank. The keyway will point to somewhere close to the 2:00 position when you are pretty close, when you line up the dots you will see where the cam sprocket dowel pin goes into the cam gear. It's pretty easy. Line everything up and tighten the bolt, let the tensioner pin go, and turn the engine over 2 revolutions by hand clockwise to make sure the dots still line up, and you are ready to go.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My cam gear was at 2.00 position but the crank was at 5.00 thanks..
You are welcome. Please click the accept answer button and let me know if you need any more help!