sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

99 dodge durango: my speedometer went..speed sensor

my speedometer went out in my 99 dodge durango,they say they put in a speed sensor but that did not fix the problem where is this sensor on the truck and what is the next option
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. Do you know where the speed sensor was located that they replaced? It is pretty common to replace the wrong sensor. do you have a copy of the bill with a part number, or a description of the sensor, like rear speed sensor, or output speed sensor?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I believe the box said mileage sensor on the box the part looks like a small dome its tan and black color but what i see online looks like a square piece with a plug in of some type on the top. but i know he was more towards the middle of the truck not in the rear.

Ok, that was the wrong sensor. That is the output speed sensor on the transmission. This sensor is only used for calculations for the trans electronic governor. This is the sensor that everyone thinks runs the speedometer. the correct sensor is the rear speed sensor, it goes into the top of the rear differential housing. It is monitored by the abs module, the abs module sends the vehicle speed message out to the other modules, including the instrument cluster. Here is a picture of the sensor.