sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Replacing a starter on a 1998 dodge durango

replacing a starter on a 1998 dodge durango
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

STARTER

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. If the vehicle is so equipped, remove the front axle skid plate and skid plate crossmember. Refer to Frame and Bumpers for the service procedures.
  4. Remove the nut and lock washer from the starter mounting stud
  5. Remove the screw from the upper starter mounting flange hole. Slide the automatic transmission cooler tube bracket forward on the tubes far enough for clearance.
  6. Move the starter towards the front of the vehicle until the starter gear housing nose clears the bellhousing. Then tilt the nose downwards and lower the starter far enough to access the starter solenoid wire harness connector.
  7. Remove the two nuts that secure the battery cable and solenoid feed wire to the terminals on the starter solenoid. Remove the starter solenoid wire harness connector from the solenoid terminals.
  8. Remove the starter motor from the vehicle.
  9. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Tighten the starter hardware as follows:
    • Lower mounting nut - 68 N·m (50 ft. lbs.)
    • Upper mounting screw - 68 N·m (50 ft. lbs.)
    • Battery cable terminal nut - 14 N·m (120 in. lbs.)
    • Solenoid wire harness terminal nut - 6 N·m (55 in. lbs
  10. graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the starter located on the left or right side of the engine

Its on the left side. Its easy to find once you are under there. Here is the picture again if it wasn't veiwable the first time. In the picture the left is the front of the engine.

graphic

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist