sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dodge Caravan: My malfunction indicator light has come on and stayed

I have a Dodge Caravan 2003. My malfunction indicator light has come on and stayed on. I am not sure of the things to check to avoid spending money going to the dealer.
Hi. We should be able to fix this together. Lets see why your light is on. cycle the key three times from off to on and watch the digital odometer display and watch the digital odometer display. The codes start with a p and have fournumbers, there may be more than one code. Write down any that you see and post them here and I'll tell you what to do.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am going to do that right now. I have to go to the vehicle. I'll be right back.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have turned the key to the on position, just before turning the engine over. Then I turned the key off. I did this three times, the third time leaving the key on to be able to read the odometer reading. All I saw was the odometer reading. The car "dinged" 5 times each time.

Then thinking that I should have turned the engine on then off, I did that 3 times and still the odometer reading just shows the number of miles driven.

Ok. Lets try it again. Just go between the off position and run, not to start (I know you didn't). You don't have to turn the key all the way back to the lock position, just one notch back from the run position. Do this all pretty quick, within 6 or 8 seconds. Try it with the doors closed. If it still won't work, almost all big chain parts stores will check codes for free, and then you could come back here and post them.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I DID IT! Here are the codes:

P1684 and P0456

Great! That code means you have a small evaporative emissions system leak. This leak can be as small as .010", pretty tough to find. You've got a cracked hose somewhere on the evap system. The first and easiest place to look is right by the airbox. Under the core support on the right side you'll find the purge solenoid-tow hoses, a two wire connector. Follow the plastic hoses back under the airbox, you'll find a peice of rubber hose about 2" long. This is by far the most likely place you will find a leaking hose. If its not cracked, slide under the van. You will see the vapor canister just to the rear of the subframe. Check all the hoses in and out of the canister for any cracks, splits, or holes and replace as neccessary. If you cannot find a leak, you can also replace the gas cap. It has a valve in it that corrodes and leaks. If you cannot find a problem at all, a shop will have a special machine that pressurizes the system with smoke, and the source of the leaking smoke is found to pinpoint the leak.