sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How long does a motor in a 2002 dodge neon usually last?

Customer Question

how long does a motor in a 2002 dodge neon usually last?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. It depends on how it is treated, and how it is maintained. If it is ran hard and not taken care of it won't last, but if you drive it normal and maintain it it can last over a couple hundred thousand miles. Spark plugs should be changed every 30,000 miles, the timing belt and water pump should be replaced when you get close to 100,000 miles. The oil and filter of course should be changed every 3,000 miles. Use a quality oil and filter.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

great thank you. I am buying the vehicle for my 16 yr old. seller said the engine was replaced @ 109k, he does have all the paper work, for new enging and maint records.

That's good. If you keep up on taking care of it it should last for a long time. A 16 year old may be a little harder on it than you or I, but its still a pretty tough engine. I would recommend keeping up on transmission services too. I normally recommend a flush, but I have seen some filters in these problems cause the pump to not suck fluid and cause complete destruction. If it hasn't been done, I would recommend replacing the trans fluid and filter after you buy it.