Bob
Bob, Technician
Experience:  40 plus years auto experience. ASE Certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)
2210118

I am working on a 1996 Plymouth Breeze, rear drum brake system.

I am working on a 1996 Plymouth Breeze, rear drum brake system. Are there any detailed pictures available to assist in putting the brakes back together with new shoes, etc.? I am having difficulty putting the adjusting wheel mechanism back together. Thanks.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

The information I have posted below should be everything that you need. If you need a picture blown up or have problems drop me a note. Thanks

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Cirrus, Stratus and Breeze

See Figures 3 through 14

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Remove the actuating spring from the adjuster mechanism and trailing brake shoe Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Remove the upper spring using needlenose pliers Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Notice that the hooks on each end of the spring are different, so it can only be installed one way Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: Remove the lower return spring from the brake shoes Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Unfasten the trailing brake shoe retainer support plate Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Remove the retainer and pin attaching the trailing brake shoe assembly to the brake support plate Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Remove the leading brake shoe and adjuster mechanism as an assembly Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 10: Remove the adjuster mechanism from the brake shoe Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 11: Use pliers to separate the parking brake cable from the actuating lever Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 12: Unlike most actuating levers, this actuator is permanently attached to the shoe by a rivet Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: Clean the brake shoe contact points of the backing plate ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: ... then lubricate the contact points
  1. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  2. Remove the rear tire and wheel assemblies.

Regardless of their wear pattern, when brake shoes are replaced on one side of the vehicle, they must also be replaced on the other side. It is advisable, however, to complete one side before beginning the other.

1. Remove the brake drum from the hub assembly.
  2. Remove the actuating spring from the adjuster mechanism and trailing brake shoe.
  3. Remove the upper return spring from the brake shoes.
  4. Remove the lower return spring from the brake shoes.
  5. Remove the brake shoe retainer and pin attaching the leading brake shoe assembly to the brake support plate.
  6. Remove the leading brake shoe and adjuster mechanism as an assembly from the rear brake support plate. The adjuster mechanism cannot be separated from the leading brake shoe until the brake shoe and adjuster mechanism is removed from the support plate.
  7. Remove the trailing brake shoe retainer and pin attaching the trailing brake shoe assembly to the brake support plate. Remove the trailing brake shoe assembly.

On this vehicle, the parking brake actuating lever is permanently attached to the trailing brake shoe assembly. Do not attempt to remove it from the original brake shoe assembly or reuse the original actuating lever on a replacement brake shoe assembly. All replacement brake shoe assemblies for this vehicle must have the actuating lever as part of the trailing brake shoe assembly.

1. Remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever. Do not remove the lever from the brake shoe.
  2. Remove the automatic adjuster mechanism from the brake shoe by fully extending the adjuster, then rotating the adjuster to release from the brake shoe.
To install:
  1. Lubricate the 8 brake shoe contact points with high-temperature grease.

The trailing brake shoe assemblies used on the rear brakes of this vehicle are unique (handed) for the left and right side of the vehicle. Care must be taken to ensure that the brake shoes are properly installed on their correct side of the vehicle. When the trailing shoes are properly installed on their correct side of the vehicle, the parking brake actuating lever will be positioned under the brake shoe web.

1. Install the parking brake cable onto the parking brake lever, then install the trailing brake shoe and attaching pin.
  2. Install the automatic self-adjuster on the leading brake shoe by rotating it inward to attach. Install the leading shoe and adjuster assembly to the brake support plate.
  3. Make sure the leading brake shoe is squarely seated on the brake support plate shoe contact areas and install the brake retainer on the retainer pin.
  4. Install the lower return spring.

The upper brake shoe return spring and adjuster mechanism actuating spring are unique for each side of the vehicle. The springs are colored for identification. The left side springs are green and the right side springs are blue.

1. Install the upper return spring (blue on right side; green on left side) on the leading brake shoe first, then on the trailing brake shoe.
  2. Install the self-adjuster spring on the trailing brake shoe first, then attach it to the adjuster.
  3. Install the brake drum.
  4. Repeat Steps 3-19 for the other rear wheel's brake assembly.
  5. Install the tire and wheel assemblies. Tighten the lug nuts in a star pattern to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).
  6. Lower the vehicle.
  7. Adjust the rear brakes shoes.
  8. Road test the vehicle to check for proper brake operation.
Bob, Technician
Experience: 40 plus years auto experience. ASE Certified Master Tech. (Expired, Retired)