brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

I just changed the brake booster in a 2000 Dodge Neon, bled

Customer Question

I just changed the brake booster in a 2000 Dodge Neon, bled the brakes and they are still spongy. What did I miss or do wrong?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

Does the car have ABS? Can you tell me how you bled the brakes?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I put the front end on jack stands and took the front tires off. Then I opened the bleeder valve (one at a time and had my son pump the brakes to make sure there was no air in the lines. Then I tightened or closed the vlaves.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 8 years ago.

I will attach instructions on how to bleed the base brakes. They need to be done in a specific order. Follow these instructions and it willget any air out you have. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

CAUTION: Before removing the master cylinder cap, wipe it clean to prevent dirt and other foreign matter from dropping into the master cylinder reservoir.

CAUTION: Use only Mopar® brake fluid or an equivalent from a fresh, tightly sealed container. Brake fluid must conform to DOT 3 specifications.

Do not pump the brake pedal at any time while a bleeder screw is open. This will only increase the amount of air in the system and make additional bleeding necessary.

Do not allow the master cylinder reservoir to run out of brake fluid while bleeding the system. An empty reservoir will allow additional air into the brake system. Check the fluid level frequently and add fluid as needed.

The following wheel circuit sequence for bleeding the brake hydraulic system should be used to ensure adequate removal of all trapped air from the hydraulic system.

• Left rear wheel
  • Right front wheel
  • Right rear wheel
  • Left front wheel

NOTE: To bleed the brakes manually, the aid of a helper will be required.

1. Attach a clear plastic hose to the bleeder screw and feed the hose into a clear jar containing enough fresh brake fluid to submerge the end of the hose (see picture)
  2. Have a helper pump the brake pedal three or four times and hold it in the down position.
  3. With the pedal in the down position, open the bleeder screw at least 1 full turn.
  4. Once the brake pedal has dropped, close the bleeder screw. After the bleeder screw is closed, release the brake pedal.
  5. Repeat the above steps until all trapped air is removed from that wheel circuit (usually four or five times).
  6. Bleed the remaining wheel circuits in the same manner until all air is removed from the brake system. Monitor the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir to make sure it does not go dry.
  7. Check the brake pedal travel. If pedal travel is excessive or has not been improved, some air may still be trapped in the system. Rebleed the brakes as necessary.
  8. Test drive the vehicle to verify the brakes are operating properly and pedal feel is correct.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You very much. I will give it a shot. I "accepted".