sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4: automatic transmission..low gear..dealership

Customer Question

I have a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with an automatic transmission it seems to be stuck in low gear will not up shift manualy either. Called the dealer they said seems to be stuck in limp in mode is there any way to reset limp in mode without having to go to the dealership?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi. If it is stuck in thrid gear it is limp in, lower gears are not. There are many things this can be. If you have an oil pressure gauge I can run you through some tests to do to figure out the problem.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How high of an oil pressure gauge? And what type of hook up will i need?
Just a regular oil pressure gauge is all we'll need to do these tests. There will be adapters in the installation kit to adapt to the threads of the pressure taps. Let me know if you want to do some testing and I'll give you some diagrams and instructions.