sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

dodge 4.7 engine 2002 with a ticking noise and its not a

Customer Question

dodge 4.7 engine 2002 with a ticking noise and its not a lifter
Submitted: 8 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 8 years ago.

mr. fuss, welcome to Just Answer!.

There's a good chance your noise is an exhaust leak if:

• It seems louder on a cold engine, decreases in volume as the exhaust heats up.
  • It becomes immediately louder as throttle load is applied to the engine.
  • Disappears briefly as throttle load is released.
  • Operates at 1/2 engine speed.

The rear two exhaust manifold attaching bolts tend to snap on the 4.7 engine, leaving no clamping force on the gasket which opens up a small gap at cylinder #7 or 8 (depending on side). While it may sound like a mechanical ticking noise, it's the exposive nature of exhaust leaving the just-fired cylinder that creates the sound.

On a cool engine, reach toward the back of the exhaust manifold heat shield on both sides and see if it's loose. The same bolts that hold the shield close to the manifold also clamp it to the cylinder head, so if you find you can pull the shield away from the engine... you've got broken bolts.

The good news is that they break off far above the cylinder head surface in this model year, giving you plenty of material to grab for removal. With no torque applied to the threads, they typically just spin right out although gasket replacement will probably be required, requiring manifold removal.

Write back if you have any questions, mr. fuss. I'd be glad to help any way I can.

Thanks,

Ed

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Exhaust was checked it is not an exhaust leak

The ticking is in the front of the engine by the overhead cam. The noise is quieter when the engine is cold and gets louder as engine heats up. The noise is more prevalent on idle.

I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give you a satisfactory answer for that noise, mr. fuss. I'll opt-out and return your question to the Open category for other experts to see. Sorry to have wasted your time, but at least we know what it is NOT now!

All the best,

Ed

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My question was not answered. Do I wait for someone else to look at and answer my question?

Yes sir. Your question is posted for all Dodge experts again. When someone has an answer for you, they'll post it. Just Answer experts are (for the most part) working stiffs like me, just starting the day. More experts will be online soon.

Thanks for writing,

Ed

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you, I'll be waiting...
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
HI. Can you describe this tick a little more? How "solid" is it? Is it a light tick noise or is it a deeper harder tick? How many miles are on your truck?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Harder ticking , not a knock/ 105,000 miles
Ok. If its a harder ticking, not a lifter or exhaust leak, and all the way at the front of the engine, you may have a secondary timing chain loose. Over time the chains get worn, and the tensioners extend to compensate. Eventually the chain stretches and the gears get worn enough that the chain is not held tight anymore, and will start to slap. This will get worse over time. You would have to pull the timing cover and possibly valve covers to be sure if this is the case. If it is, there is a kit with the chains and gears, guides and tensioners to make the whole timing system new again.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist