autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, Auto Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech W/Advanced Engine Performance
157591

I have a 2004 dodge intrepid, 2.7L eng. There is a leak on

Customer Question

I have a 2004 dodge intrepid, 2.7L eng. There is a leak on the right side of the thermostat housing next to the eng. block. It is difficult to reach the thermostat, because of the location it’s in. I need a diagram, and instructions for removal. Also is there anything I need to be cautious of in the removal & installation.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  autodoc_2000 replied 6 years ago.

There is not a whole lot to watch out for besides making sure that the coolant system is bled correctly so it does not overheat. These engines are known to go bad.

ENGINE COOLANT THERMOSTAT 2.7L

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect negative cable from remote jumper terminal.
WARNING:DO NOT REMOVE PRESSURE CAP WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE BECAUSE SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.
  1. Drain cooling system.
  2. Remove the engine oil dipstick and tube. To prevent coolant from entering engine, cover the dipstick tube opening in crankcase with a suitable plug.
  3. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  4. Support the engine and remove the left engine mount.
  5. Remove generator support strut.
  6. Disconnect generator electrical connector.
  7. Remove the transaxle dipstick tube bracket attaching bolt.
  8. Remove the lower heater hose tube bracket bolt.
  9. Remove the lower heater hose from thermostat housing.
  10. Remove radiator lower hose from thermostat housing.
  11. Remove thermostat housing bolts.

12. Remove thermostat and housing.

INSTALLATION

13. Clean gasket sealing surfaces.

NOTE:Install thermostat with the bleed valve located at the 12 o'clock position.

1. Install thermostat and gasket into the thermostat housing.
  2. Install thermostat and housing to cylinder block. Tighten attaching bolts to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) .
  3. Connect the heater return and radiator lower hoses to the thermostat housing. Install hose clamps.
  4. Install the heater hose tube bracket bolt.
  5. Install the transaxle dipstick tube bracket attaching bolt.
  6. Install the generator support strut.
  7. Connect the generator electrical connector.
  8. Install the left engine mount.
  9. Lower vehicle.
  10. Inspect and replace dipstick O-ring as necessary. Install the engine oil dipstick and tube.
  11. Refill cooling system.
  12. Connect negative cable to remote jumper terminal.

graphic

COOLING SYSTEM FILLING

WARNING:MAKE SURE ENGINE COOLING SYSTEM IS COOL BEFORE REMOVING PRESSURE CAP OR ANY HOSE. SEVERE PERSONAL INJURY MAY RESULT FROM ESCAPING HOT COOLANT. THE COOLING SYSTEM IS PRESSURIZED WHEN HOT.
CAUTION:Do not use well water, or suspect water supply in cooling system. Use only a 50/50 mixture of the specified ethylene glycol type antifreeze/coolant and distilled water.
NOTE:COOLING SYSTEM FILL PROCEDURE IS CRITICAL TO OVERALL COOLING SYSTEM PERFORMANCE.

1. Close radiator draincock by turning the stem clockwise to the 3:00 o'clock position. Hand tighten only.
  2. Install engine block drain plugs, if removed.

WARNING:WHEN INSTALLING DRAIN HOSE TO AIR BLEED VALVE, ROUTE HOSE AWAY FROM ACCESSORY DRIVE BELTS, ACCESSORY DRIVE PULLEYS, AND ELECTRIC COOLING FAN MOTORS.

1. Attach one end of a 6.35 mm (0.250 in.) ID clear hose that is approximately 1200 mm (48 in.) long, to the bleed valve.
    • Bleed Valve Location (2.7L): Located on the water outlet connector at the front of engine.
    • Bleed Valve Location (3.5L): Located on the lower intake manifold, left of center and below the upper intake plenum.
  1. Route hose away from the accessory drive belt, drive pulleys and electric cooling fan. Place the other end of hose into a clean container. The hose will prevent coolant from contacting the accessory drive belt when bleeding the system during the refilling operation.

NOTE:IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE COOLING SYSTEM AIR BLEED VALVE BE OPENED BEFORE ANY COOLANT IS ADDED TO THE COOLING SYSTEM. FAILURE TO OPEN THE BLEED VALVE FIRST WILL RESULT IN AN INCOMPLETE FILL OF THE SYSTEM.

1. Open the cooling system bleed valve.
    1. Attach Special Tool 8195, Filling Aid Funnel to pressure bottle filler neck.
    2. Use the supplied clip to pinch overflow hose that connects between the two chambers of the coolant bottle.
    CAUTION:Do not mix coolants. If coolant is used other than specified, a reduction in corrosion protection will occur.
    1. Pour a 50/50 mix of Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula and distilled water into the larger section of Filling Aid Funnel (the smaller section of funnel is to allow air to escape).
    2. Slowly fill the cooling system until a steady stream of coolant flows from the hose attached to the bleed valve.
    3. Close the bleed valve and continue filling system to the top of the Filling Funnel.
    4. Remove clip from overflow hose.
    5. Allow the coolant in Filling Funnel to drain into overflow chamber of the pressure bottle.
    6. Remove Special Tool 8195, Filling Aid Funnel. Install cap on coolant pressure bottle.
    7. Remove hose from bleed valve.
    8. Start engine and run until it reaches operating temperature.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you give me your address and name to send a check? i'll mail you a personal check or money order. i can't use pay pal or credit card.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have sent a check made out to "Just Answer LLC"