ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience with Dodge. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
907259

How do you replace a water pump on a 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7

Customer Question

How do you replace a water pump on a 2004 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 liter engine?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 6 years ago.
Hello,a nd thank you for chosing Just Answer!

To change the water pump on this engine requires removing the timing belt, also.. So I have uploaded separate instructions for each. They are in PDF form. The top of the page says 3.5L, but I can assure you, they are for the 2.7L engine.

Timing belt:
Removal
Installation

Water pump
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It does NOT seem the same as the 2.7 in the 2004. I had to remove two belts.

Also, I have to remove the timing chain, which is inside the engine. How do you remove the timiing chain? I know NOT to move any parts or I'll throw the timing off...I have the car torn apart and am a little nervous seeing that oil...also, will i need to repace the gasket for the plate which covers the water pump and timing chain?

miller

OOPS!!... Sorry about that.. Here is the timing chain on the 2.7 engine. It also goes into changing the sprockets, and all, which really isn't necessary, but you can likely get an aftermarket set that will enhance performance, if you wanted to.

And here is the belt routing, in case you need it again:
graphic
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience: +15 years experience with Dodge. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Still having problems/nervousness about replacing my water pump.

I received your diagram about how to take off timing chain

However, only the bottom bolts are visible

If i take off two bottom bolts, will this loosen timing chain to take it off enough so i may get at bolts for water pump?

Customer/p>
Hi.. I just got back.. Didn't mean to keep you waiting..

To get to the water pump, you have to remove the entire timing chain, and its tensioners.. So ...might as well replace it while you're there.

Here is the instructions for the water pump though. So you can see how it is bolted up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is just it. You gave me instructions on how to remove the timing chain. Yet, I don't see everything. Only part of the guides are visible....the tensioner is NOT visible....Only the bottom bolts on each guide are visible. How do I remove the guides?
Which are you talking about in the picture?

graphic

Or do you not have the timing cover off yet, and you looking at this:
graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

I see the bolt on number 9 chain guide, but NOT the tensioner. I see the bolt on the number 7 chain guide.

I only see what is below, the peeked area. Not above. so I don't see numbers 1, 2, 3, and 11 or 10

Is there a second plate i have to take off? Or is there a cover i should remove to make them visible?

Miller

OK, so you only took off this one so far:
graphic

Yes, you have to remove the valve covers to get to the cam sprockets. To do this, you have to remove the upper intake manifold.. Do you need those instructions, also?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank You!

This is what i was afraid of...I can't believe that it is this much balls to replace a water pump! I've owned 3 taraus's and replace pumps in two of them and I THOUGHT t hat they were tough....the fine engineers at chrysler motors need to pull their heads out of their bottoms...

please send me the directions to do the rest.....

OK.

Here is the upper intake manifold.

Here is the valve covers.

Yes, it is QUITE a pain to put a water pump on this engine, definately not one of my favorites ones to do. The job calls for 8.1 hours of labor..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do know that you've NOT been paid

However,

I asked How to replace a Water Pump in 2.7 litre Dodge 2004 intrepid

1st

You told me that it was the same as a 3.whatever

It wasn't

2nd

All of the things i have asked you are relavant to replacing my water pump!

I shouldn't have had to ask all of these questions, they should have be part of my solution!!!!

I let the original person know that I wanted ALL things relavant to replacing a water pump

I didn't get my original question answered

I rated this information good, but by no means did a get an expert response

Last, sure would have been nice to know from the get go that is would take 8.1 hours of labor

Thank you for your answers i will make a payment once the job is done

miller

miller