Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

How do i program a 2004 dodge ram 1500 key and remote

Customer Question

how do i program a 2004 dodge ram 1500 key and remote
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 5 years ago.

Programming a new key requires that you already have 2 functioning keys. If you do not have 2 functioning keys then the delaer has to do this for you. Here is the procedure for 2 keys...

CUSTOMER LEARN PROGRAMMING

1. Obtain the additional Sentry Key transponder blank(s) that are to be programmed for the vehicle. Cut the additional Sentry Key transponder blanks to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
  2. Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key transponders into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  3. After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for about three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. Both operations must be performed within 15 seconds.
  4. In approximately ten seconds the VTSS indicator LED will start to flash to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
  5. Within approximately sixty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
  6. In approximately ten seconds, the VTSS indicator LED will stop flashing and stay on solid for approximately three seconds and then turn OFF to indicate that the blank Sentry Key transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately return to normal system operation following exit from the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
  7. Repeat this process for each additional Sentry Key transponder blank to be programmed.

Programming a new remote requires ONE working remote........otherwise the dealer needs to do it.....

The following procedure can be used as long as one programmed transmitter is available:

NOTE: When entering program mode using that programmed fob, ALL currently programmed fobs will be erased and they will have to be reprogrammed for the vehicle. If program mode is entered and no action is performed, the previously programmed fobs will continue to function.

1. Enter the vehicle and close all doors.
  2. Fasten the seat belt (this will cancel the seat belt chime). Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
  3. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on a programmed transmitter for 4 to 10 seconds. Within the 4 to 10 seconds with the UNLOCK button still depressed, press the PANIC button for one second. When a single chime is heard, release both buttons.The chime indicates the system is in program mode.
  4. Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on a fob to be programmed. A single chime will be heard, this indicates the fob has been recognized.
  5. Press and release any button on the same fob. A single chime will be heard, this indicates the fob has been programmed.
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for up to a total of 4 fobs.
  7. Turn the ignition OFF.
  8. Turn the ignition ON or wait 60 seconds.

The vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 60 seconds from when the original chime (step 3) was heard. After 60 seconds, all programmed transmitters will function normally.