dodge bum
dodge bum, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ase master tech,25 years with chrysler products on all phases of repair,factory trained.
5853475

1998 Dodge: seals..no power steering or power brakes, but the leak

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram Diesel. I replaced the seals & O-rings on the vaccume pump (because of a leak) and now I have no power steering or power brakes, but the leak has stopped.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  dodge bum replied 5 years ago.
POWER STEERING PUMP - INITIAL OPERATION
WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING COMPONENTS.

CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill.

Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.

Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two (2) minutes.
Start the engine and let run for a few seconds then turn engine off.
Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
Raise the front wheels off the ground.
Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
Check the fluid level add if necessary.
Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure
CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have tried all of the above and it has not helped. How can I know if the pump is functioning?

Expert:  dodge bum replied 5 years ago.
The only way is to put a guage and pressure test it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I bled all four brake valves, air came out but it did not improve it. Can the vaccum pump create air in the power steering system?

Expert:  dodge bum replied 5 years ago.
No,they are seperated.the power steering pump is what also acts like your brake booster,its called hydroboost,so that pump and hydroboost need to be bled.
dodge bum, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ase master tech,25 years with chrysler products on all phases of repair,factory trained.