vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

How to removed heater coil in 2000 dodge ram 2500

how to removed heater coil in 2000 dodge ram 2500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 6 years ago.

Good afternoon, inorder to remove the heater core (which is what I assume you mean by heater coil) you will have to remove the interior dash and then discharge the a/c unit as well and remove the a/c and heater box and then you will have access to the heater core. Here are all the steps:

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, REFER TO GROUP 8M - PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

REMOVAL

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the Airbag Control Module (ACM) and bracket from the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  3. Remove the trim from the left and right cowl side inner panels.
  4. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
  5. Remove the two screws that secure the inside hood latch release handle to the instrument panel lower reinforcement and lower the release handle to the floor.
  6. Disconnect the driver side airbag module wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness at the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  7. If the vehicle is so equipped, disconnect the overdrive lockout switch wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness near the instrument panel lower reinforcement.
  8. Remove the steering column from the vehicle, but do not remove the driver side airbag module, the steering wheel, or the switches from the steering column. Be certain that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  9. From under the driver side of the instrument panel, perform the following:
    1. Disengage the park brake release handle linkage rod from the park brake mechanism on the left cowl side inner panel.
    2. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the park brake switch on the park brake mechanism.
    3. Disconnect the three wire harness connectors (one from the body wire harness, and two from the headlamp and dash wire harness) from the three junction block connector receptacles located closest to the dash panel.
    4. Remove the screw from the center of the headlamp and dash to instrument panel bulkhead wire harness connector and disconnect the connector.
    5. Disconnect the instrument panel to door wire harness connector located directly below the bulkhead wire harness connector.
    6. If the vehicle is equipped with the Infinity sound system option, disconnect the Infinity wire harness connector from the instrument panel wire harness connector that is secured to the outboard side of the instrument panel bulkhead connector.
    7. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the stop lamp switch.
    8. Disconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the left end of the heater-A/C housing.
  10. From the under the passenger side of the instrument panel, disconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector.
  11. Loosen the right and left instrument panel cowl side roll-down bracket screws about 13 mm (0.50 inch)

1 - PLASTIC NUT
2 - SCREWS
3 - SCREWS
  1. Remove the five screws that secure the top of the instrument panel to the top of the dash panel, removing the center screw last.
  2. Roll down the instrument panel and install a temporary hook in the center hole on top of the instrument panel. Secure the other end of the hook to the center hole in the top of the dash panel. The hook should support the instrument panel in its rolled down position about 46 cm (18 inches) from the dash panel.
  3. With the instrument panel supported in the roll-down position, disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the connectors located on the heater-A/C housing.
  4. With the aid of an assistant, remove the temporary hook and lift the instrument panel assembly off of the roll-down bracket screws and remove it from the vehicle.

HEATER-A/C HOUSING

The heater-A/C housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service access of the heater core, evaporator coil, and each of the various mode control doors.

REMOVAL

2. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  3. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 6. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.
  4. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  5. Remove the accumulator. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  6. Drain the engine cooling system.
  7. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes. Refer to Group 7 - Cooling System for the procedures. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
  8. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the dash panel and set it aside, but do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors.
  9. Remove the nuts from the heater-A/C housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  10. Remove the nuts that secure the heater-A/C housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel .

1 - BODY ASSEMBLY
2 - HEATER A/C UNIT
  1. Pull the heater-A/C housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  2. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

HEATER CORE

REMOVAL

1. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.
  2. Remove the screws and retainers that secure the heater core to the heater-A/C housing.
  3. Lift the heater core straight up and out of the heater-A/C housing .

1 - HEATER CORE LINES
2 - HEATER CORE

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.

vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified