brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1996 Dodge truck: Whats..the best way to get the heater core out

I need to replace the heater core in a 1996 Dodge truck. I already have the dash up and out. Whats the best way to get the heater core out? The top of it is showing with the two pipes connected to it going through the firewall. It almost looks like it could be lifted straight up if i cut the pipes connected to it. The question is how does on get the new one back in?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

You have to remove the entire housing from the vehicle. After the housing is removed then it can be separated to remove the core.

If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me the breaakdown on how to remove the housing(specs or instruction sheets) and can it be done WITHOUT having to disconnect the air conditioning evaporator? Be glad to pay, no prob.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

The A/C must be disconnect. If you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

HEATER-A/C HOUSING

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system .
  3. Disconnect the refrigerant lines from the evaporator tubes Install plugs in, or tape over, all of the open refrigerant fittings
  4. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Cooling System for the procedures.
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  6. Remove the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and set aside. Do not unplug the PCM connectors.
  8. Remove the heater-A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  9. Remove the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Systems for the procedures.
  10. Remove the defroster duct (see picture)
  11. Unplug the heater-A/C housing electrical connections.
  12. Remove the heater-A/C housing mounting nuts from the studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel
  13. Remove the heater-A/C housing from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the heater-A/C housing to the dash panel. Be sure the drain tube is positioned in the dash panel drain hole.
  2. Install the mounting nuts to the studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  3. Install the mounting nuts to the studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 N·m (60 in. lbs.)
  4. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes.
  5. Unplug or remove the tape from the refrigerant fittings, and connect the refrigerant lines to the evaporator tubes.
  6. Install the coolant reserve/overflow bottle.
  7. Install the PCM.
  8. Install the defroster duct.
  9. Connect the rear floor heat duct to the center heat duct adaptor.
  10. Connect the heater-A/C housing electrical connectors.
  11. Install the instrument panel.
  12. Fill the cooling system. .
  13. Evacuate and charge the refrigerant system.
  14. Connect the battery negative cable.
  15. Start the vehicle and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,