sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 dodge neon: it to replace the clutch..step instructions

How hard is it to replace the clutch in a 2000 dodge neon? Can you send me a picture or step by step instructions?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Its not that hard. The clutch setup in them is pretty neat, its a modular clutch. the disc, flywheel, and pressure plate are all one unit, bolted to the flexplate just like a torque convertor. I can get you the instructions, which engine is in your car?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

2.0 liter engine. I know on some front wheel drive cars you have to pull the motor on this one do you.

Here you go, you don't have to pull the motor, the trans comes out by itself on these cars.

MODULAR CLUTCH ASSEMBLY

REMOVAL

1. Raise hood.

2. Disconnect and isolate both battery cables, remove battery hold down clamp and bolt, and remove battery.

3. Remove air cleaner/throttle body assy. as follows:

1. Disconnect proportional purge solenoid (PPS) and crankcase vent hose from throttle body.

2. Disconnect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and Idle Air Control (IAC) connectors.

3. Disconnect throttle body air duct at intake manifold.

4. Remove mounting bolt and nut and partially remove air cleaner assembly.

5. Disconnect accelerator and speed control (if equipped) cables after the assy. is removed from position. Remove air cleaner assembly from vehicle

4. Remove battery tray from bracket.

5. Disconnect ground cable at battery tray bracket.

6. Disconnect back-up lamp switch connector.

7. Remove bellhousing cap

8. Disconnect clutch cable from release lever and remove from transaxle

9. Remove shift cable-to-bracket clips

10. Disconnect shift selector and crossover cable from levers

11. Remove cables and secure out of the way.

12. Disconnect the vehicle speed sensor connector

13. Raise vehicle on hoist.

14. Remove transaxle oil drain plug and drain oil into a suitable container.

15. Remove both axle shafts.

16. Remove structural collar

17. Remove the left engine-to-transaxle lateral bending brace

18. Remove bellhousing dust cover

19. Remove the right engine-to-transaxle lateral bending brace

20. Remove starter motor

21. Remove drive plate-to-clutch module bolts.

22. Support engine at oil pan with screw jack and wood block.

23. Remove transaxle upper mount thru-bolt. Gain access to this bolt through the driver's side wheel house Carefully lower engine and transaxle on screw jack until proper removal clearance is obtained.

24. Obtain a helper to assist in holding transaxle while removing transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts

25. Remove transaxle from vehicle

26. Remove modular clutch assembly from transaxle input shaft.

INSTALLATION

1. Inspect clutch release bearing and lever for excessive wear and replace as necessary.

2. Install clutch module onto input shaft. Install transaxle into position.

3. Install transaxle-to-engine mounting bolts and tighten to 95 N·m (70 ft. lbs.) torque.

4. Raise engine and transaxle with screw jack until through hole in upper mount aligns with hole in mount bracket. Install mount bolt and tighten to 108 N·m (70 ft. lbs.) torque

5. Remove screwjack.

6. Install NEW drive plate-to-clutch module bolts and progressively tighten all bolts in a criss-cross pattern until the modular clutch assembly seats against the drive plate. Final torque the bolts to 88 N·m (65 ft. lbs.) torque.

7. Install starter motor and tighten bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) torque. Make sure to fasten ground cable to upper starter bolt as shown in

8. Connect starter electrical harness and tighten positive cable nut to 10 N·m (90 in. lbs.) torque.

9. Install bellhousing dust cover

10. Install left engine-to-transaxle bending brace

11. Install structural collar

1. Position collar and install all bolts finger tight.

2. Tighten the collar-to-oil pan bolts to 3 N·m (30 in. lbs.) torque.

3. Tighten the collar-to-transaxle bolts to 108 N·m (80 ft. lbs.) torque.

4. Final torque the collar-to-oil pan bolts to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.) torque.

12. Install the right lateral bending brace and tighten bolts to 81 N·m (60 ft. lbs.) torque

13. Install both front axle driveshafts. Refer to Group 3, Differential and Driveline for the correct procedures.

14. Fill transaxle with suitable amount of Mopar® Manual Transaxle Lubricant (PN 04874465)

15. Lower vehicle.

16. Connect vehicle speed sensor connector

17. Connect shift crossover and selector cables to shift lever. Install cables to bracket and install retaining clips

18. Connect clutch cable to fork and secure to transaxle

19. Install bellhousing cap

20. Connect back-up lamp switch connector.

21. Connect ground strap to transaxle upper mount bracket.

22. Install battery lower tray and battery, and tighten battery hold down clamp to secure battery.

23. Install the air cleaner/throttle body assy. as follows:

1. Connect the accelerator and speed control (if equipped) cables to the air cleaner/throttle body assy.

2. Install assy into position, making sure the air cleaner locating slot is engaged to the battery bracket tab, and tighten fasteners to 14 N·m (120 in. lbs.) torque.

3. Verify throttle body duct is fully seated to intake manifold and tighten clamp to 5 N·m (40 in. lbs.) torque.

4. Connect the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) and Idle Air Control (IAC) connectors.

5. Connect proportional purge solenoid (PPS) and crankcase vent hose from throttle body.

24. Connect the battery cables.

25. Road test vehicle and inspect for leaks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

About how long would it take to rplace it or would i be better off to get someone that is trained to do it? If so what is a ballpark figure it would cost?

It depends on the tools and equipment you have. If you are going this on the ground instead of a hoist and don't have a trans jack, it would be worth the money to pay someone else. It would call for somewhere close to four hours labor roughly, that's for a trained tech with all the tools. If you were to have a shop do it you would pay somewhere in the area of four hours, the clutch itself costs about $300 for a Mopar, less for an aftermarket.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist