lucasg573
lucasg573, Dodge Technician
Experience:  10 years general experience, 3 years Dodge Chrysler and Jeep experience

1995 Dakota: Magnum..V..6 runs very rough, and low power..low speed

My 1995 Dakota Magnum V-6 runs very rough, and low power. I have to really give it the gas to get it to go 60 - 70 MPH on high way. It boggs down at low speed and I have to pump the gas to get it to keep going.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  lucasg573 replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like you may need a tune up. Check your spark plugs, check your plug wires. You may have a misfire causing it to run rough. A stopped up catalytic convertor can cause low power problems but usually doesnt cause rough running just low power.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Lucas, I intend to accept so you can get paid, but I should have mentioned I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap and rotor before I started this trip (Oklahoma to Florida and back). My truck runs great for a while then starts to spit and sputter a bit; I have to turn overdrive off to keep RPMs up enough to keep going. At low speeds it surges and even dies if I don't keep RPMs up. Starts great and will idle fine until I press the gas. Any other ideas. I'm going to take it to the shop but I would really appreciate having some ideas before hand. Took so long to respond as I was on the road.
Expert:  lucasg573 replied 5 years ago.
Customer a bad catyletic convertor will causoke poor performance like I said earlier. When the engine is cold they will run ok, but as the convertor warms up you will gradually lose power. That sounds like a good possibility. You can unhook the exhaust upstream of the convertor and go for a drive, you should know immediately if this fixed it. Also I have seen crank and cam sensors act up as they get hot. It's usually like flipping a switch, will run smooth then next thing you know rough. Its not a gradual change like a convertor will do. Crank sensor is in trans bellhousing, and cam sensor is in distributor. These are some possibilities. I would also look around and make sure you dont have a vacuum leak, although you woulld have to have an extremely bad leak to cause such poor performance, not as likely as convertor, crank, or cam sensor problems. Also check fuel pressure while it is running good and bad, if it drops when it starts running bad you will need a fuel pump. Please try what I suggested and post a reply with info. Thanks
lucasg573, Dodge Technician
Experience: 10 years general experience, 3 years Dodge Chrysler and Jeep experience