Wrenchtech
Wrenchtech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  40 years experience with ASE certification as Master Technician with L1--Repair Shop Owner
7136321

Can you patch a hole in a cars brake line?

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Clayso replied 8 years ago.
Hi there. You can not patch the hole, you can replace the bad area with the same size line and a ferrule coupling. This coupling states do not use on brake lines, I have done it before and I have not killed anyone yet. To determine the size brake line you need use an open end wrench either 3/16 or 1/4 which ever wrench fits the fittings on the line will fit the connection "ie" hose, wheel cylinder or proportion valve. Or with two ferrule couplings and some brake line you can replace the affected area.
Expert:  Wrenchtech replied 8 years ago.
This is a diiferent expert

No, I have to strongly disagree with that advice.

Compression fittings should never be used on brakes.

The only proper, safe (and legal) way to repair brake lines is by cutting and double flaring and using thread together fittings to splice any lines.