vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified

2000 dodge neon: my spark plug cylinder..PCV valve..find anything

Customer Question

I have oil in my spark plug cylinder in a 2000 dodge neon. I was told by a mechanic this could be caused by the PCV valve but I can not find anything to back that up. Is this true or what other causes could the oil in the spark plug cylinder be caused from?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon, I need to make sure I fully understand what you are speaking of so please excuse. I assume you are saying that you pulled the spark plug wire out of the valve cover and saw oil in the hole where the spark plug is still at, correct? If this is the case then the cause will be worn spark plug tube seals. The tubes that the plug wires go through are sealed to the valve cover with 4 seals (one per tube) just like the valve cover has a gasket to seal it to the cylinder head. All are designed to keep the oil thats splashing around in the valve train, from getting into the tubes and outside of the valve cover. The repair it to remove the valve cover and replace the 4 tube seals and the valve cover gasket as well. Its not a hard job and its fairly simple. Here is a picture related:

1 - CYLINDER HEAD COVER GASKET
2 - SEAL
3 - BOLT
4 - SPARK PLUG TUBE SEALS

With the number of miles it might have, I would recommend a pcv valve as simple maintance as well.

It appears that you were typing at the same time as me. Make sure about the oil for me so that I know if its in the tube where the plug goes down into or if inside the actual combustion chamber where the piston is? To do a valve job (grind the valves) you would have to remove the cylinder head from the engine. The odds that this is what you need is very unlikely, the way to tell that would be 2 items. One is what they call a compression test which shows about how much psi a cylinder is producing. The other item is a cylinder leak down test that then checks the cylinder to see how much leakage is present which allows you to check the valves to make sure they are seat fully and nothing wrong with them. If both check okay then a valve job wont be needed. I would make sure that the plugs and wires were changed first and that there is no oil in the spark plugs tubes which might get on the plug wires
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I changed the tube seals and replaced the spark plugs and the spark plug wires. The pcv valve was fine so i did not repalce that. I also did an oil change. My car stopped sputtering during idle but it was very sluggish when accelerating. On the highway it made a whirrling sound and then the acceleration dropped to 5mph. The spark plug wire was removed and there was still oil on the top of the spark plug and that was the only one checked. Could this be a head gasket problem or valves? My car is not over heating and there is no collant in the oil.

Lets make sure we are on the same sheet of music here........you say on top of the spark plug. Are we both understanding that to be the end that the plug wire connects to or the end that goes inside the cylinder where the spark is. Please let me know so that we can be clear. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's both ends of the spark plug, the part you screw into the cylinder comes out covered in oil and also the white part that goes into the plug wire has oil on it before it is removed from the engine.

There are some rare moments when the tubes them selves become unseated and no fully bottomed out in the head as its designed to be. If you have replaced the tube seals that go on the valve cover and oil is still getting into the tubes then I would recommend replacing the tubes them selves. They are removable. The oil in the tubes is getting on the plug that is exposed and when the plug is removed, the oil goes down along the block and then gets on the bottom as well which sounds liek the reason for both ends having oil on them.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would this cause my car to also lose acceleration while driving or make it hard to accelerate?
It would cause a misfire (skip) if the plug and wires get enough on them. Electricity and liquids dont like each other so it can cause misfires and rough running and lack of power as well as jerking.
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience: gold certified, dodge viper certified
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am still having problems with this situtaion. I changed the ignition coil because that was causing the misfire according to the OBD2 reading. The engine light has gone off. There is still oil on the spark plugs so i was going to try to replace the tube sleves but i can not find them at an auto parts store is this something i have to get from the dodge dealer parts department? In the process of fixing things on my car i was told that the head gasket was blown so i used this bars leaks head gasket repair and it actually clogged my radiator so i replaced that and my car stopped over heating but now when i put the car in gear and press the gas the car dies whihc is what it was doing in the first place but only lacking acceleration now it just dies and the insdie of the car smells like gasoline, whihc i found mixed in with the engine oil when i was replacing the tube seals. Do you have any ideas? ive been without my car since spetember and i'm working on my car in an area that i am not too familiar with. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Lets address the issue with the plugs getting oil. In the past you mentioned that when you pulled the plug wires out that they had oil on them and that there was oil in the tube that the spark plug was down in. This issue is either from the upper tube rubber seals or the tubes not sealing properly to the head. In order to get the tubes, you need to go tour local Dodge dealer. If the oil is in the cylinder itself (where the piston is) then the spark plug will oil have oil on the tip of the plug, not on the upper portion where the wires attached. Being able to see the actual sensor readings would help the most to see what the adaptives are ( fuel compensating by adding or removing fuel). It sounds like you have more than one issue. The blown head gasket worries me. This can cause low compression and driveabilty issues, not just overheating. Basics such as fuel pressure, compression test and seeing the sensor readings with a scanner are the items that are needed next. It takes a skilled technican to be able to view the data and interpet what it means and what the possible causes may be.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not think that i had a blown head gasket. There were no symptoms of that. My car did not overheat until i put the head gasket repair stuff in it because i put the whole bottle in and it was supposed to be half so it clogged the radiator. But that is all fixed. i have a fuel prssure tester, i will do that next. Do you know price wise how much those tubes are and if i can buy one or if it is a set? I can smell gasoline in the oil and inside the car after the car dies when i press the accelerator. is this a different problem then the oil on my spark plugs or if i fix that will that problem be soleved too?
The fuel geting in the oil is most likely due to it running too rich and the fuel getting passed the rings and into the oil pan and mixing with the oil. This is one reason for seeing the sensor readings to see why the vehicle is getting too much fuel and washing down into the oil pan. The tube part number is (NNN) NNN-NNNNand cost about $5.55 each. As mentioned the tubes will correct the oil in the tube (oil on the top of the plugs and wire boots).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for the part number and price information. I did a fuel pressure test and the reading was 44psi. That is the lowest psi my car should read at. I am also in Colorado and not as sea level so i do not know if that means that the reading is low. I also cracked the cap for the test post on the fuel injector and tried to get a replacement but i was told that was a dealship part only. They also recommended that possibly the TPS is bad which may be why my car dies when i press the gas. Is that a possibility or was it told to me so i would buy the part? Is that a testable part with an multimeter and what should the resistance be so i can tell if it is bad? Thank you for all your advice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for the part number and price information. I purchased this part this weekend but have not been able to put it in my car yet. I did a fuel pressure test and the reading was 44psi. That is the lowest psi my car should read at. I am also in Colorado and not as sea level so i do not know if that means that the reading is low. I also cracked the cap for the test post on the fuel injector and tried to get a replacement but i was told that was a dealship part only. They also recommended that possibly the TPS is bad which may be why my car dies when i press the gas. Is that a possibility or was it told to me so i would buy the part? Is that a testable part with an multimeter and what should the resistance be so i can tell if it is bad? Thank you for all your advice.

At this point it sounds like they may just be guessing....or once they had a similar issue and that was the cause. The sensor readings are the most important.....it would tell you in a few seconds from looking at it if the TPS was good. There is no specs as far s resistance is concerned.

The PCM supplies approximately 5 volts DC to the TPS. The TPS output voltage (input signal to the powertrain control module) represents throttle blade position. The TPS output voltage to the PCM varies from approximately 0.35 to 1.03 volts at minimum throttle opening (idle) to a maximum of 3.1 to 4.0 volts at wide open throttle.

When reading the voltage and moving the throttle linkage, the voltage should change smoothly and no spike or drop out at any point.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are these sensor readings something i can do at home? I have no tow service and my car doesn't run. What tools will i need to do this? So is the 44psi reading on the fuel pressure test ok or is it low and something in the fuel system could be the cause?

The specs for the fuel pressure are 49psi.....which your not far off the mark so I dont think I would be worried about the fuel pressure. You need a scanner to read the sensor readings and some readings will need to be checked with the engine running.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are these readings from the OBD2? I do not have the engine light on anymore. once i replaced the ignition coil that engine light went off and has not come back on. One of the readings was for the dwon stream heater sensor if this has really gone bad and the enigne light has not been able to come back on cause my car is not drivable would this cause the problem i am having?
The readings are accessed thru the data link connector under the dash. The scanner would then access the engine controller and then you would select sensor readings. You should have code stored if there were any other faults such as sensors out of range or the o2 sensor that you mentioned. Then again some codes wont set until the engine is running.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I purchased the tube from dodge but the tube in my car will not come out. So I am leaving that problem for later. I am trying to replace the fuel pump but I can not figure out where a good place to put the jack stands is. None of my books tell me where to place the jack stands only where to place the jack. Do you think that the fuel pump could be the cause of the car dying when you press the accelerator? Or am i just wasting my time replacing the fuel pump for this problem. I am out of ideas as to what else could cause this to happen. The fuel injectors are fine i have tested those. If you have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you