sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Dakota: All of the instrument gauges..fuses look..look fine

All of the instrument gauges on my 02 Dakota just stopped working. All the fuses look fine. What else could it be?
Hi. You will need to remove the cluster and do some testing with a voltmeter. I can give you some things to test. Do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, I have a meter.

Ok. Start by checking all fuses. If they are ok, remove the cluster. Check for:

Black connector-

12v on dark blue/white wire, key on

ground on black/light green

ground on black

12v on pink wire

12v on red/white with key on

Also on the violet/white wire, with the key on you should see roughly 2.5 volts, it will probably be fluctuating a little.

If you have all of these inputs, the cluster is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

This will take a while, I have to pull the front of the gauges off to get to the cluster right?

You'll see how it comes out once you get the trim panel off. The whole cluster will come out, it is an assembly with all gauges in it, the connector you are looking for is on the back of it.