sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

My dodge dakota will not go into reverse. All the other gears

Customer Question

My dodge dakota will not go into reverse. All the other gears are fine. Is there an easy fix to this?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Dodge?
-How many miles are on your Dodge?
-What type of engine is in your Dodge?
-What have you already tried?
-Is it a manual trans or automatic?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the truck is a 2002 dodge ram 1500, V8 5.9, automatic. It has 120000 miles on it.
When you moved the linkage by hand at the trans you could feel it click, but the truck did not have reverse? Does it make any noise when you put it in reverse? Did it slip at first, or all of a sudden no movement?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi, thank you for replying! It does make noise when you put it in reverse. In fact, if I have the truck on a flat spot and put it in reverse it will move back. But very slowly. (i neutral it will not move at all.) So that tells me that the reverse is engaging but not like it should. there was no slip (i don't think) I was at the gas station, I pulled up to a pump. I put the truck in reverse and VROOOM. It was like it was in neutral. I tried three times and nothing.
What kind of noise is it? Is it a whining or grating noise, a grind?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It actually just sounds normal. Like any of the other gears. I can't hear anything abnormal.
Ok. If there was no large amount of noise at any time like a shaft stripping, I would say the problem is in the valve body or the rear band. The rear band controls reverse. I have seen a few of those with a broken servo piston for the band, and it causes no or very little reverse. You could pull the valve body down and remove the servo piston and check it out. when you are going back together you are going to need a in lb torque wrench and a 5/16 triple square socket to readjust the band.