vipertech763
vipertech763, automotive technician
Experience:  gold certified, dodge viper certified
3256298

Replace the Clock Spring in my daughters 2001 Sebring Convertible?

How do I replace the Clock Spring in my daughter's 2001 Sebring Convertible?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  vipertech763 replied 8 years ago.

Good eveing, here is the info you requested:

• Remove the speed control switches from the steering wheel. The speed control switches are mounted to the steering wheel by two screws (one screw, each switch) which are accessible from the back side of the steering wheel.
  •  

1 - STEERING WHEEL
    2 - SPEED CONTROL SWITCHES

WARNING: WHEN AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG ASSEMBLY IS TO BE REMOVED FROM THE STEERING WHEEL, DISCONNECT BATTERY GROUND CABLE AND ISOLATE. ALLOW SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE FOR TWO MINUTES, THEN BEGIN AIRBAG REMOVAL.

WARNING: WHEN HANDLING AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAG MODULE DURING SERVICING OF THE STEERING COLUMN THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS SHOULD BE OBSERVED. AT NO TIME SHOULD ANY SOURCE OF ELECTRICITY BE PERMITTED NEAR THE INFLATOR ON THE BACK OF THE AIRBAG MODULE. WHEN CARRYING A LIVE MODULE, THE TRIM COVER SHOULD BE POINTED AWAY FROM THE BODY TO MINIMIZE INJURY IF MODULE ACCIDENTLY DEPLOYS. IF AIRBAG MODULE IS PLACED ON A BENCH OR OTHER SURFACE, PLASTIC COVER SHOULD BE FACE UP TO MINIMIZE MOVEMENT IN CASE OF ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT.

• Remove the 2 bolts attaching the driver airbag to the steering wheel .
  • 1 - AIRBAG
    2 - STEERING WHEEL
    3 - MOUNTING SCREWS

• Lift the driver airbag from the wheel and disconnect the electrical connectors from the back of the driver airbag . Connectors are removed by compressing latches on sides of connectors and pulling them straight out of the airbag module. Do not twist the connectors when removing them from the airbag.
  • 1 - HORN CONNECTOR
    2 - DRIVER AIRBAG
    3 - AIRBAG SQUIB CONNECTORS

• Remove the driver airbag.
  • Remove the steering wheel attaching bolt from the steering column shaft.
  • 1 - UPPER SHROUD
    2 - BOLT
    3 - STEERING WHEEL
    4 - LOWER SHROUD

CAUTION: When installing wheel puller on steering wheel, be sure puller bolts are fully seated in the threaded holes in the steering wheel. If bolts are not fully seated in the threaded holes, threads may be stripped out when removing the steering wheel.

• Install puller on steering wheel as shown .
  • 1 - STEERING WHEEL PULLER
    2 - STEERING WHEEL

CAUTION: Do not bump or hammer on steering wheel or steering column shaft when removing steering wheel from steering column.

• Remove steering wheel from steering column shaft.
  • Remove the 2 screws attaching the upper and lower shrouds to the steering column. First remove upper shroud from steering column by pressing inward on upper shroud just above the parting line while pulling upper and lower shrouds apart. Next, release tilt lever and tilt steering column to its highest point. Then remove lower shroud from steering column.
  • 1 - UPPER SHROUD
    2 - BOLT
    3 - STEERING WHEEL
    4 - LOWER SHROUD

• Remove the 2 wiring harness connectors from the clockspring .
  • 1 - CLOCK SPRING
    2 - WIRING HARNESS CONNECTORS

If this answers your question then please press ACCEPT. If you need more help then let me know. Thanks.