sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

explain the use of the light load switch on the center dash

Customer Question

explain the use of the "light load switch on the center dash....
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hi. The light load switch is for the tire pressure monitoring system. This changes the threshholds for the pressures for when the tire light comes on. I would recommend leaving this alone.

OPERATION

This vehicle may have different recommended tire pressure values between the front and rear tires as shown in both the Tire Loading Information Label and the Supplemental Tire Pressure Information Label. It is also equipped to be driven with tire pressures appropriate to either a Light Load condition or the vehicle Max Load condition.

The "Light Load" reset switch will allow the driver to change between the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold and the light load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold depending on the vehicle's load condition. Refer to the "Supplemental Tire Pressure Information" label for the vehicle's Light Load inflation pressures and "Tire and Loading Information" label for the vehicle's Max Load inflation pressures.

To switch from the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold to the light load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold, begin by placing the Ignition switch in the RUN position. Next, lower all four road tire pressures to the Light Load Inflation Pressure values as listed on the Supplemental Tire Pressure Information label. The Supplemental Tire Pressure Information label is located on the rear face of the driver door. Use an accurate tire gauge to check the tire pressures when lowering all four tire pressures. After all four tire pressures have been lowered to the Light Load inflation pressures, press the "Light Load" reset switch. If the "Light Load" switch's amber colored LED turns ON, the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system is using the light load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning thresholds.

If the "Light Load" reset switch amber colored LED flashes on and off for 10 seconds, after all four tire pressures have been lowered to the Light Load inflation pressures, the pressure in any one of the four tires may not be at the light load inflation pressure (cold) values as indicated for the Light Load condition as defined in the Supplemental Tire Pressure Information label located on the rear face of the driver door. Using an accurate tire pressure gauge, re-check the tire pressures for the light load inflation pressure (cold) value.

WARNING: It is the driver's responsibility to change to the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold condition when not driving in the light load condition as defined as two occupants ( 150 lbs each) plus 200 pounds of cargo. The vehicle "Light Load Definition" is found in the Supplemental Tire Pressure Information Label located on the rear face of the driver door. Failure to do so may cause you to lose control resulting in an accident, causing serious or fatal injury.

To switch back to the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold, press the "Light Load" reset switch. It is not necessary to first fill the tires to the max load inflation pressure (cold) values to switch the TPMS system to the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning threshold. If after pressing the "Light Load" reset switch and tire pressures are below the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning thresholds, the TPMS low pressure warning telltale lamp located in the Instrument Cluster will turn ON and a chime will sound. The tire pressures are now required to be inflated to the max load inflation pressure (cold) values described on the Tire and Loading Information label. The Tire and Loading Information label is located on the drivers side B-pillar. If the "Light Load" reset switch LED turns OFF the TPMS has been reset and the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) system is using the max load inflation pressure (cold) low pressure warning thresholds