sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

my 99 durango is apparently stuck in anit-theft mode after

my 99 durango is apparently stuck in "anit-theft" mode after replacing the battery and starter. Is there a way to get around this problem without towing it to the dealer and using the drb tool to disable the anti-theft mode?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Hi, is this the factory system, or is it an aftermarket alarm?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

It does not have an aftermarket alarm. I bought the vehicle used and I don't have any keyless remotes to indicate that the factory alarm was installed. In doing some research it seems that the VTSS may have been enabled in a replacement PCM that I put in last year. It was supposed to have been flashed to match the VIN number. The VIN number for the vehicle is 1B4HS28Z2XF670228 . I never had a problem until I had to replace the starter and had the battery disconnected for several hours. The current symptoms include: after resetting the PCM and reconnecting the battery, the lights, door locks, etc. will function fine until the key is turned to the "ON" position. After a few seconds in the "ON" position or an attempt to start the vehicle, everything goes dead. No lights, door locks, power windows, etc. and I get a clicking noise from the glovebox area when the doors are opened.

Let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.

This does sound like the factory vtss system. If you do not have a key fob, the only way to shut it off is by unlocking the doors, which you have done. I am sorry, but you are going to have to get it to a dealer. They may be able to program a key fob to it and shut it off, or the central timer module may be bad, this is what controls the vtss functions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there a way to bypass the VTSS in order to get the car started so I can get it to a dealer?
No. The system cannot be bypassed at all. There is no way to get rid of it once it has been enabled. It cannot be turned off with a scan tool if you don't want the system either. Once vtss is enabled on a new module, it stays with the module forever.