sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

95 dodge ram 1500: need to replace my heater core

need to replace my heater core in my 95 dodge ram 1500,and have no clue on how to remove the complete dash to do this job. need your help,please!!!
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Here are the instructions to remove the instrument panel. After that you will have to remove the heater box, you will need an a/c recovery machine.

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AIRBAG, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING AIRBAG SYSTEM OR STEERING WHEEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the left and right cowl side panel trim.
  3. Remove the knee blocker as described in this group.
  4. Remove the two screws securing the inside hood release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
  5. Remove the screw securing the parking brake release handle to the lower instrument panel support.
  6. Remove the six retaining screws and the lower instrument panel support
  7. Unplug the airbag wiring connector at the lower left corner of the instrument panel.
  8. Pull the gearshift selector (PRND21) indicator cable and twist to remove it from the position arm on the steering column
  9. Push tab on bottom of cable retainer up then squeeze sides to remove retainer from column.
  10. Remove the tilt steering column lever, if equipped.
  11. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column
  12. Remove the lower fixed steering column shroud.
  13. Loosen the multi-function switch connector screw. The screw will remain in the connector. Remove the multi-function switch connector
  14. Remove the other steering column connectors
  15. Remove airbag wiring harness from the steering column wiring trough.
  16. Remove the wiring trough from the steering column.
  17. Remove the three steering column toe plate nuts and washers
  18. Remove the two nuts and washers attaching the steering column bracket to the instrument panel steering column support bracket
  19. Lower the steering column and allow it to rest on the seat.
  20. Remove the two screws from the bottom of the Airbag Control Module (ACM) cover
  21. Remove the four screws holding the ACM to the transmission tunnel on the floor
  22. Disconnect the wiring at the ACM.
  23. Disconnect the wiring connectors at the left end of the instrument panel.
  24. Remove the screw holding the parking brake release to the bottom of the instrument panel.
  25. Disconnect the wiring connectors at the right end of the instrument panel. There are:
    • Two connectors attached to the heater-A/C housing
    • Courtesy lamp connector
    • Antenna cable connector
    • Two body harness connectors
    • Vacuum harness for heater-A/C system.
  26. Remove the five screws holding the instrument panel to the dash panel.
  27. Remove the lower center instrument panel mounting screw.
  28. Loosen the lower instrument panel pivot bolts.
  29. Roll the instrument panel down.
  30. Using a screwdriver or pointed tool, push through the plastic flashing to release the locking tab on heater-A/C temperature control cable
  31. Pull the temperature control cable from the top of the heater-A/C housing.
  32. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  33. Reverse the removal procedures to install. Be certain that all wiring and hoses are not pinched. Refer to Restraint Systems before connecting the battery negative cable. Tighten the hardware as follows:
    • Instrument panel upper mounting screws - 3 N·m (28 in. lbs.)
    • Instrument panel pivot bolts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
    • Steering column shroud screws - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
    • Steering column bracket nuts - 12 N·m (110 in. lbs.)
    • Toe plate nuts - 23 N·m (200 in. lbs.)
    • Multi-function switch connector screw - 2 N·m (17 in. lbs.)
    • ACM mounting bolts - 11 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist