sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

How do I change front axle u joints in my 05 ram 2500

how do I change front axle u joints in my 05 ram 2500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.
Hi. You have to pull the hub bearings out of the spindles with a puller, then remove the axle shafts and replace the joints. The bearings will be corroded into the spindles severly and you will need a special puller to remove them. Even with the puller there is still a possibility that the bearings can be ruined.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you remove the whole hub assembly and axle together

You remove the hub, and then the axle slides out. Here is the service manual procedure, not much to it.

REMOVAL

1. With the vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
  2. Remove brake caliper, rotor and ABS wheel speed sensor if equipped.
  3. Remove axle shaft cotter pin, hub nut and washer
  4. Remove four hub bearing bolts from the back of the steering knuckle.
  5. Remove hub bearing from the steering knuckle.
  6. Remove axle shaft from steering knuckle and axle housing.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you buy the bearings? I was told you can only buy the whole hub assembly.
It is a sealed hub/bearing assembly. If they get damaged or pull apart while you are removing them to replace the joints they will have to be replaced. They run about $370 apeice for the factory bearings, so be careful!
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist