sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

99 Chrysler Sebring 2.5L, Was giving me OBD11 code P1391

Customer Question

Car was running but rough, I replaced Crank Position Sensor and now it does not start. I checked spark, but no spark, I checked fuel injector pulse but there is no pulse, now what should I do ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.
Hi. Where did you buy your crank sensor from? Was it running before, just running rough, and as soon as the new sensor was in it won't start?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought my crank position sensor from autozone. After replacing the sensor when car did not start, I went back to autozone and replaced with an other sensor, it did not start. Then I put the old one back and it does not start
Ok. The next thing I was going to have you do was put the old one back in. Let's keep the old one in until we figure out what is wrong. Make sure the sensor is spaced correclty-there was a paper spacer that came on your replacement sensors that set the gap between the sensor and the flexplate, you need to set the gap on the original sensor now that you have reinstalled it. If it hits the flexplate it will kill the sensor. I'll give you some tests you can do with a volt meter if you have one, we can see if the crank sensor is working or not. If it is, you may need a new distributor. The cam sensor is inside it. With the p1391 setting, that means you have lost either cam or crank signals.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes the old sensor is installed and there is a gap between sensor and fles plate. i do have a volt meter, please tell me what test i should perform.

Thanks
Ok. Go down to the crank sensor connector and unplug it. Turn the key on, check for eight volts on the orange/white wire, ground on the black/light blue. Plug the sensor back in if these are ok. Use a paperclip and backprobe on the third wire in the connector, gray/black. Put your voltmeter on this wire, turn the engine over with a ratcher slowly. You should see the voltage on the meter toggle from 0 to 8 as the windows in the flexplate pass under the sensor. If this happens we know the sensor is working and can move on to the cam sensor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I did not get back to you ealier, I was gone out of town for the weekend.
Here is the situation now, I disconnected the plug and checked for the voltage with ignition key-on and there is voltage in the plug. what should I do now. Once again sorry for not getting you back
What voltage did you get, and how did you get it? With the sensor unplugged you should have 8 volts on the refrence wire. With the sensor plugged in while turning the engine over slowly by hand the voltage should change from 0-8 back and forth.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I un plugged the Crank position sensor, had Ignition key on checled the voltage between orange/white & wire black/light blue there was zero volt.
We need to check these seperate then. Unplug the sensor, key on. Measure the voltage on the orange wire-it should be close to 8v. Check the black/light blue wire for continuity to ground. It may show slight resistance, but should be grounded.