sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Any ideas on removing the power steering pump from a 99 Grand

Customer Question

Any ideas on removing the power steering pump from a 99 Grand Caravan? I've got the cat converter out of the way, all hoses disconnected and the pump off the bracket. I can't see any way to get it through to the exhaust tunnel.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.

Hi. The better way to do this is to remove the right side cv shaft and bring the pump out of that hole. You will have to remove the pulley from the pump before removing it from the engine compartment, just angle it down towards you and put your puller on it.

Seeing that you already have the exhaust off, if you want to try going that direction (perfectly understandable) here are the complete instructions in case you didn't have them and missed a step.

REMOVAL

1. Remove the (-) negative battery cable from the battery and isolate cable.
  2. Remove cap from power steering fluid reservoir.
  3. Using a siphon pump, remove as much power steering fluid as possible from the power steering fluid reservoir.
  4. Raise vehicle on jack stands or centered on a frame contact type hoist. Disconnect the oxygen sensor wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness. Access to connection at vehicle wiring harness is through the oxygen sensor wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle
  5. NOTE: The exhaust system needs to be removed from the engine to allow for an area to remove the power steering pump from the vehicle.

6. Remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Then remove all the exhaust system hangers/isolators from the brackets on the exhaust system.
  7. Move the exhaust system as far rearward and to the left side of the vehicle as possible
  8. Raise the heat sleeve on the power steering hoses to expose the hose to steel tube connection. Remove the hose from the power steering fluid return line on the front suspension cradle Allow the remaining power steering fluid to drain from the pump and fluid reservoir through the removed return hose.
  9. Remove the accessory drive splash shield
  10. Remove the serpentine accessory drive belt from the engine
  11. Remove the power steering fluid supply hose coming from the remote fluid reservoir, from the fitting on the power steering pump Drain off excess power steering fluid from hose.
  12. Remove the power steering fluid pressure line rom the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  13. Remove the power steering fluid return hose from the power steering pump. Drain excess power steering fluid from tube.
  14. Remove the support bracket at the rear of the power steering pump attaching the pump to the rear of the engine
  15. Remove the 3 bolts mounting the power steering pump to the alternator/power steering pump and belt tensioner mounting bracket Remove the power steering pump from its mounting bracket.
  16. The power steering pump is removed from the vehicle by pulling it out through the exhaust tunnel area in the floor pan of the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Install power steering pump back in vehicle using the reverse order of its removal through the exhaust tunnel are of the vehicle.
  2. Install the power steering pump on its mounting bracket. Install the 3 power steering pump mounting bolts Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolts to a torque of 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
  3. Install the support bracket attaching rear of power steering pump to engineTighten the nut and bolt holding the strut assembly to bracket and the intake manifold stud to a torque of 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs)

NOTE: Before installing power steering pressure hose on power steering pump, inspect the O-ring on the power steering pressure hose for damage and replace if required.

4. Install the power steering fluid pressure line onto the output fitting of the power steering pump Tighten the pressure line to pump fitting tube nut to a torque of 31 N·m (275 in. lbs.)
  5. Install the power steering fluid, low pressure return hose on the power steering pump low pressure fitting Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  6. Install the power steering fluid supply hose from the power steering fluid reservoir, on the power steering pump fluid fitting Be sure hose is clear of accessory drive belts and all hose clamps are properly reinstalled.
  7. Install the serpentine drive belt Install the power steering fluid return hose on the steel tube at the front suspension cradle Install a screw type hose clamp on the power steering hose to steel tube connection. Be sure hose clamps are properly reinstalled. Tighten the screw clamp to a torque of 2 N·m (18 in. lbs.)
  8. CAUTION: The protective heat shield sleeves must cover the entire rubber hose and hose to tube connection portion of both the power steering fluid pressure and return hoses This is required to keep the power steering hoses from becoming overheated.

9. When used, properly position the protective heat sleeves on the power steering hoses Then, tie strap the heat sleeves to the power steering hoses to keep them in their proper position.
  10. Install the exhaust pipe on the exhaust manifold. Install all exhaust system hangers/isolators on the exhaust system brackets.
  11. Connect the oxygen sensor wiring harness to the vehicle wiring harness. Install wiring harness grommet in the floor pan of the vehicle.
  12. Install the accessory drive splash shield
  13. Lower vehicle.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable on the negative battery post.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have the steps, but silly me expected it to work. Will it physically fit out the exhaust tunnel if it is already open?

By removing the "exhaust system" does it mean the manifold too? All I did was break it at the converter and remove that, the manifold is still in place.

If I go out through the axle space, will there be room to press the pulley on the pump once installed?

Yes, it would be nice if the service manual procedures always worked as good as they sound. By removing exhaust system they are wanting you to remove it at the convertor just as you have done. It should fit-all of the procedures in the manual are tested. With that said, when I first started doing these I tried it that way, got mad, and removed the cv shaft. That is the way I have been doing it for years now. There is plenty of room to press the pulley on while it is in there, you just have to tilt it down a little.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Roger, Thanks for the help.
Sure, no problem. Good luck with it!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just a follow up.

I removed the axle and was fiddling around with the pump and it literally fell out in my lap, with the pulley still attached. Apparently, with the cat converter AND the axle removed, there is enough room in the center of the frame for the pump to come out. Or maybe I just got lucky. Now it will be easier to get the pulley off and back on externally and slide the whole assembly back in. That's tomorrow nights project.

Thanks again for the help!

Great! You are welcome.