Shawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  PA Certified Inspection emissions, ASE Brakes Suspension, Lead diagnostic Tech.20 years exp

1970 Dodge: the best way to set the timing..Plymouth..Challenger

What is the best way to set the timing on a 1970 Dodge 340? The engine is in my 1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback. It came out of a 1970 Dodge Challenger TA. It has an Edelbrock Performer intake with a Carter 625 and I believe the camshaft is a Direct Connection "Purple Shaft". It has a Mallory Unilite ignition and a Mallory Promaster coil. Do you disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the end of the hose? Is it best to set the timing at the factory specs or by ear?

To set the timing on your cammed 340 you will need to disconnect the vacuum advance and plug the line as you said then start with 10 deg BTDC and see how she reacts. Aftermarket cams will usually like more timing than the stock setting but seem to work well right around 10 - 12 deg BTDC. Make sure you idle is set where you want it when setting the timing.