Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

How do you reset the anti theft system in a 2002 dodge ram 1500

Customer Question

how do you reset the anti theft system in a 2002 dodge ram 1500
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

Here is what the data base has on it.

PCM/Skim Programming
Notes

NOTE: There are two procedures for transferring the secret key to the SKIM:

• When ONLY the SKIM module is replaced, the secret key is transfered from the PCM to the SKIM. The ORIGINAL KEYS may then be programmed to the SKIM.
  • When ONLY the PCM is replaced, then the secret key is transfered from the SKIM to the PCM. The ORIGINAL KEYS may be used.
  • When BOTH the SKIM and the PCM are replaced the secret key is transferred from the SKIM to the PCM, and NEW KEYS must be programmed.

NOTE: Before replacing the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) for a failed driver, control circuit, or ground circuit, be sure to check the related component/circuit integrity for failures not detected due to a double fault in the circuit. Most PCM driver/control circuit failures are caused by internal component failures (i.e. relay and solenoids) and shorted circuits (i.e. pull-ups, drivers and switched circuits). These failures are difficult to detect when a double fault has occurred and only one Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) has set.

When a PCM (SBEC) and the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) are replaced at the same time perform the following steps in order:

1. Program the new PCM (SBEC).
  2. Program the new SKIM.
  3. Replace all ignition keys and program them to the new SKIM. Programming The PCM (SBEC) The Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) Secret Key is an ID code that is unique to each SKIM. This code is programmed and stored in the SKIM, PCM and transponder chip (ignition keys). When replacing the PCM it is necessary to program the secret key into the new PCM using the DRB III scan tool. Perform the following steps to program the secret key into the PCM.
  1. Turn the ignition switch ON (transmission in park/neutral).
  2. Use the DRB III scan tool and select THEFT ALARM, SKIM then MISCELLANEOUS.
  3. Select PCM REPLACED (GAS ENGINE).
  4. Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN.
  5. Select ENTER to update PCM VIN. NOTE: If three attempts are made to enter secure access mode using an incorrect PIN, secured access mode will be locked out for one hour . To exit this lockout mode, turn the ignition to the RUN position for one hour then enter the correct PIN. (Ensure all accessories are turned OFF. Also monitor the battery state and connect a battery charger if necessary).
  6. Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the SKIM will send the secret key to the PCM).
  7. Press Page Back to get to the Select System menu and select ENGINE, MISCELLANEOUS, and SRI MEMORY CHECK.
  8. The DRB III scan tool will ask, Is odometer reading between XX and XX? Select the YES or NO button on the DRB III scan tool. If NO is selected, the DRB III scan tool will read, Enter odometer Reading. Enter the odometer reading from the instrument cluster and press ENTER. Programming The SKIM
  3. Select SKIM REPLACED (GAS ENGINE).
  4. Program the vehicle four-digit PIN into SKIM.
  5. Select COUNTRY CODE and enter the correct country NOTE: Be sure to enter the correct country code. If the incorrect country code is programmed into the SKIM, the SKIM must be replaced.
  6. Select YES to update the VIN (the SKIM will learn the VIN from the PCM).
  7. Press ENTER to transfer the secret key (the PCM will send the secret key information to the SKIM).
  8. Program ignition keys to the SKIM. NOTE: If the PCM and the SKIM are replaced at the same time, all vehicle keys will need to be replaced and programmed to the new SKIM. Programming Ignition Keys To The SKIM
  3. Select PROGRAM IGNITION KEY'S.
  4. Enter secured access mode by entering the vehicle four-digit PIN. NOTE: A maximum of eight keys can be learned to each SKIM. Once a key is learned to a SKIM, it (the key) cannot be transferred to another vehicle.
  5. If ignition key programming is unsuccessful, the DRB III scan tool will display one of the following messages:
    1. Programming Not Attempted - The DRB III scan tool attempts to read the programmed key status and there are no keys programmed into SKIM memory
    2. Programming Key Failed (Possible Used Key From Wrong Vehicle) - SKIM is unable to program key due to one of the following:
    • Faulty ignition key transponder.
    • Ignition key is programmed to another vehicle.
    1. 8 Keys Already Learned, Programming Not Done - SKIM transponder ID memory is full.
  1. Obtain ignition keys to be programmed from customer (8 keys maximum).
  2. Using the DRB III scan tool, erase all ignition keys by selecting MISCELLANEOUS and ERASE ALL CURRENT IGN. KEYS.
  3. Program all ignition keys. Learned Key In Ignition - Ignition key transponder ID is currently programmed in SKIM memory.