brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

How to put a timing belt on a dodge caravan

how to put a timing belt on a dodge caravan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

I will attach instructions, if you still need help just reply. If not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
  2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System.
  4. Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.
  6. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  7. Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  8. Remove right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

9. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) see picture

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft marks to be misaligned

10. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner (see picture) While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
  11. Remove timing belt

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replace. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure outlined in this section.

INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (see picture)

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (see picture)
  4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (see picture) to align marks and take up belt slack

NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

5. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.
  6. Once timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in (see picture)
  7. Install right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  8. Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  9. Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  10. Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
  11. Install crankshaft damper. Refer to procedure in this section.
  12. Install accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System.
  13. Install right inner splash shield.
  14. Install right front wheel.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,