a-mechanic
a-mechanic, Shop Foreman Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. Chrysler electrical/chassis master. 16 years in Dealerships

How do i replace a heater core in 2006 dodge 3500 pickup

Category: Dodge
Expert:  a-mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hi.

Here is the procedure.as out lined in the service manual.

HVAC HOUSING ASSEMBLY

WARNING: Refer to the applicable warnings and cautions for this system before performing the following operation (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - WARNING) and (refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - CAUTION). Failure to follow the warnings and cautions could result in possible serious or fatal injury.

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE: The HVAC housing must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service of the A/C evaporator, evaporator temperature sensor, mode-air and blend-air doors.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system Drain the engine cooling system Disconnect the A/C liquid line and the A/C accumulator from the A/C evaporator Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes.
  3. Remove the powertrain control module (PCM) to gain access to the two nuts (3) that secure the HVAC housing (1) to the engine compartment side of the dash panel (2) and remove the nuts (

4. On Mega Cab models, remove the floor console duct Remove the instrument panel from the passenger compartment.Remove the bolt (5) that secures the HVAC housing (4) to the floor bracket (6).
  5. Remove the two nuts (3 and 7) that secure the HVAC housing to the passenger compartment side of the dash panel (1).
  6. Pull the HVAC housing assembly rearward and remove the housing assembly from the passenger compartment.
  7. If required, remove the fresh air inlet (2) from the dash panel (1).

instrament panel removal.

2. Remove the front seat assembly,
  3. Remove the left a-pillar trim
  4. Disconnect the headliner wire harness connector located at the a-pillar.

5. Remove the instrument panel top cover

6. Remove the left cowl trim panel (

7. Remove the steering column

8. Remove the two bolts (1) that secure the steering column support bracket to the instrument panel.

1 - CLIP
    2 - ROD
    3 - MOUNTING BRACKET
    4 - TRIM STICK
    5 - LATCH TABS
    6 - PARK BRAKE RELEASE HANDLE

9. Remove the park brake release handle actuator rod (

10. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector (2) located above the brake pedal from the bulkhead wire harness connector (1).

11. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the left instrument panel side cover.

12. Remove the three bolts (1) that secure the left side of the instrument panel to the dash panel.

13. Remove the floor console, if equipped
  14. Remove the air bag control module cover, if equipped (
  15. Disconnect the air bag control module electrical connector (

16. Remove the two bolts (1) that secure the instrument panel to the center of the floor panel.

17. Remove the right cowl trim cover
  18. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the two body wire harness connectors (1) located on the right side of the cowl panel (2).

19. Disconnect the antenna coaxial cable connector (1) from the radio coaxial cable connector (2) located on the right side of the cowl panel.

20. Remove the one bolt (2) that secures the instrument panel (3) to the HVAC housing (1) below the glove box opening (4).

21. Remove the right a-pillar trim

22. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the right instrument panel side cover (1) from the instrument panel.

23. Remove the three bolts (1) that secure the right side instrument panel bracket to the dash panel.

24. Remove the four screws (2) that secure the instrument panel (5) to the top of the cowl panel (1).
  25. Remove the two bolts (4) that secure the instrument panel to the top of the cowl panel.
  26. Pull back the driver's side carpet as necessary to pull the air bag module harness out from under the carpet.
  27. With the help of an assistant, lift the instrument panel up and off of the cowl panel and remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
  28. If required, remove the four plastic screws inserts (3) from the top of the cowl panel.
Experience: ASE Master Tech. Chrysler electrical/chassis master. 16 years in Dealerships