sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 Grand Caravan: the accessory relay in the fuse box under the hood

Customer Question

My radio in my Dodge 2003 Grand Caravan has stopped working along with a power outlet. I have replaced the accessory relay in the fuse box under the hood. Have also tested all fuses, which seem to be working. (There are 2 15 amp fuses that do not light up the testor, but they show that they are for the tail lights, which are working fine.) Is there another place that I could look for fuses for the radio?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hi. In the fuse box under the hood there is a fuse marked "RAD/IP/IGN". This fuse powers things like the radio and door locks. Please double check this fuse, check it with a test lamp to make sure it has power at it. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This fuse does have power to it.
Ok. Your next step will be to pull the radio out and check to see which wire does not have power. Check the gray/red wire, and check the dark blue/pink wire. They both should have power when the key is on, you should find the gray/red will have power all the time.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pulled out the radio, however, there was only one plug going into the radio. It had multiple wires attached to it, all wrapped in black and entering into a box which was then plugged into the radio. How would I test these? And which one would I test?
I am not sure if you are working with a factory radio? Is the radio factory? Either way, find the wire colors I have pointed out and test them for power with a test light.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The radio is factory. I tested the wires. The gray/red and the blue/pink neither had power. However, there was a blue/white wire that had constant power even with the car off.
I think that blue/white wire you saw is the violet/shite wire. This is the wire for bus communications. It is best to stay away from this wire while tesing. You did check the other 2 wires with the key on, correct? I would like you to leave the key on, and go out to the fuse box. Remove the accessory relay, and put it back in a couple times. Listen and feel for it to click. Also double check fuse number 5 and see if it has power with a test light when the key is on. I have enclosed picture of the fuse box with the numbers. You may have to enlarge it to make out the numbers.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I access the picture? I don't see one?

Here let's try that again!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I checked the other 2 wires with the key on. There was nothing. I removed the accessory relay and put it back a couple of times. I did hear and feel it click. Aldo, the fuse #5 had power with the test light when the key is on. Can't figure out why I have power under the hood but not to the radio. Any suggestions?
Let's see if there is power coming into the van from the accessory relay. On the driver's side under the dash you will see a massive electrical connector. You need to find the dark blue/pink wire in this connector in pin 16, and see if it has power here with the key on. If it does, your problem lies inside the dash somewhere, you will have to take the dash apart until you find the break. If there is no power there, the problem is most likely under the hood, possibly in the IPM itself.