Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

My 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel with 12v 5.9l cummins ...

Customer Question

My 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel with 12v 5.9L cummins turbo diesel recently started stalling when putting the transmission in gear. Now when the engine is hot/warm the engine needs to cool off before it will start. I have changed all fluids. Engine runs normal temp and psi when started, normal cooling, new fuel filter. Can you tell me what I can do to fix this problem?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 8 years ago.
Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer.

I would check the ASD (automatic shut down relay) in the power distribution center under the hood. The PCM communicates with it from terminal #57 a dark green wire with an orange stripe, and terminal #51 a dark blue wire with a yellow stripe. This is the cause of mysterious shut downs lots of times. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i changed reelay and no change. I just changed the supply/lifter pump today and now i can not start the truck at all.
When you change the pump you will need to bleed the injection system most of the time to get it to run. I would check the wires from the ASD relay to the PCM to make sure there is no problem with the wires. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I think the relay and wires are fine. I can hear/feel the relay switching on when the key is turn to the on postion. and I swapped the relays arround because all the relays were the same type. So if a relay was bad the problem would have shiffed with a bad relay. I also repalaced the auto fuel shutoff and relay and still the engine does not start. I am now removing the injectors but cannot get them out of the rear engine without really getting some leverage, I dont think I will get them all out especally the one all the way in the back. the three injector tips in the front of the engine where covered in black carbon blocking the holes and I cleaned the with gas and wire brush.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

When you get the injectors back in you should bleed the fuel system, and check the wires I mentioned in the previous post. You can have a situation where you have a good relay that is not getting the correct signal at the right time. If you need any wiring schematic let me know because I can help you with this. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did bleed the fuel fron the lifter pump until came out of the water/fuel filter.

You need to bleed the air all the way up to the injectors, or it will not start. The fuel pressure at the injector is so high it is very dangerous. Be careful especially in the injector area when bleeding. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.