Leo
Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year

1998 DODGE RAM 1500: THE A/C BLOWER CUTS OFF AT TIMES..RELAY..COLD AIR

Customer Question

HAVE A 1998 DODGE RAM 1500 4WD P/U AND THE A/C BLOWER CUTS OFF AT TIMES AND WILL EVENTUALLY COME BACK ON. IF IT A RELAY, WHERE IS IT LOCATED, OR WHAT ELSE MAY BE THE PROBLEM. HAS COLD AIR WHEN WORKING.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Leo replied 5 years ago.

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer!

If you have a relay, might as well put 'er in.. You should be able to find it in the fuse box under the hood (should be a chart on the inside of the lid).

If that doesn't take care of your issue, we are going to have to do a quick test at the blower motor when the problem occurs...

When the blower is NOT working, try this.. find the two wires that plug into the motor, and check each one for 12V with a test light (still plugged in, fan on HI)

if you have 12V on the green wire and nothing on the black, you need a blower motor..

if you have 12V on both the green and the black, you need resistor (most likely).

if you don't have 12V on either wire, give a shout back!

The important things to remeber are, the fan must be broken (not working) plugged in, and set on high wtih the key on..

Make sens?

Leo

Leo, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 2005 Dodge ASE master technician of the year
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to Leo's Post: GREAT IDEA! I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE RESISTOR. BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE DONE THIS. SINCE THE BLOWER DOES COME ON EVENTUALLY, WOULDNT THAT ELIMINATE A FAULTY MOTOR? WHERE IS THE RESISTOR LOCATED?
Expert:  Leo replied 5 years ago.

I apologize for the delay, for some reason I just got notified that you replied. I thank you for accepting my answer, I appreciate it!

I've included a picture showing the resistor.

Given the fact that it sometimes works / sometimes doesn't, I'd be looking for a bad connection if I was you.. Perhaps if you wiggle the wires at the resistor you'll be able to get it to act up..

Let me know how it goes, and I'll do everything I can to help out! Hopefully the system will let me know that you have responded so I can get back to you in a timely fashion!

Leo

graphic