Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

How do I aim the headlights on a 2000 Dodge Caravan

No Comment Added
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jerry replied 6 years ago.

graphic. Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

They are little torx screws. One of them is sort of hidden, down in a little cutout. Here are the steps for aiming along with some pictures.

HEADLAMP ALIGNMENT PREPARATION

1. Verify headlamp dimmer switch and high beam indicator operation.
  2. Inspect and correct damaged or defective components that could interfere with proper headlamp alignment.
  3. Verify proper tire inflation.
  4. Clean headlamp lenses.
  5. Verify that luggage area is loaded as the vehicle is routinely used.
  6. Fuel tank should be FULL. Add 2.94 kg (6.5 lbs.) of weight over the fuel tank for each estimated gallon of missing fuel.

graphic

ALIGNMENT SCREEN PREPARATION

1. Position vehicle on a level surface perpendicular to a flat wall 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from front of headlamp lens.
  2. If necessary, tape a line on the floor 7.62 meters (25 ft.) away from and parallel to the wall.
  3. From the floor up 1.52 meters (5 ft.) , tape a line on the wall at the center line of the vehicle. Sight along the center line of the vehicle (from rear of vehicle forward) to verify accuracy of the line placement.
  4. Rock vehicle side-to-side three times and allow suspension to stabilize.
  5. Jounce front suspension three times by pushing downward on front bumper and releasing.
  6. Measure the distance from the center of headlamp lens to the floor. Transmission measurement to the alignment screen (with tape). Use this line for up/down adjustment reference.
  7. Measure distance from the center line of the vehicle to the center of each headlamp being aligned. Transfer measurements to screen (with tape) to each side of vehicle center line. Use these lines for left/ right adjustment reference.
  8. HEADLAMP ADJUSTMENT WITH BUBBLE LEVEL AIMER
    A properly aimed low beam headlamp will project the center of the low beam hot spot on the alignment screen 152 mm (6 in.) ±50 mm (2 in.) below the headlamp center line. The center of the hot spot should be 254 mm (10 in.) ±50 mm (2 in.) right of the headlamp center line. The high beams on a vehicle with aero headlamps cannot be aligned. The high beam pattern should be correct when the low beams are aligned properly.

graphic

The adjust headlamp alignment, rotate adjusting screws to achieve the specified low beam hot spot location.

HEADLAMP ADJUSTMENT WITHOUT BUBBLE LEVEL

Vehicles without a bubble level aimer, the low beam headlamp will project on the screen upper edge of the beam (cut-off) at the horizontal lamp centerline ±50 mm (2 ins.) . There is no horizontal aiming adjustment. Horizontal aim is preset and does not require adjustment. The high beam pattern should be correct when the low beams are aligned properly. To adjust headlamp vertical alignment, rotate adjusting screw to achieve the specified low beam cut-off location.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech