mbkenw
mbkenw, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  12 years professional experience in a dealership, Certified Specialist
9910448

2000 dodge durango: 2 co2 sensors..hoses..basic oil change..dealership

Customer Question

I have a 2000 dodge durango and the problem is ive been milked for alot of money by local michanics because of the check engie lite coming on.One shop replaced 2 co2 sensors,and some kind of power steering sensor,and 2 power steering hoses.another shop got me for the basic oil change,and tells me its blowin black smoke along with unburnt fuel,and thats a dealership programing problem.Alls i no is it is not fireing two cylinders, costing millions in fuel,and has no power and the check eingine lite is still on.i only got 30,000 miles out of it since i bought it last year,which it had 100,000 miles on it when i bought it.Is this problem eaisily fixable for some one who nos what to do or am i just stuck drivin my two kids around in this money pit lemon for as long as it lasts?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mbkenw replied 6 years ago.

Hi,Customer welcome to Just Answer. My name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you with your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had so much trouble getting your vehicle fixed, and are still having trouble. Unfortunatly, this will likely not be an easy fix. If you are having a dead miss on two cylinders, this is likely what is setting the O2 sensor faults. Under normal conditions, the sensors measure the amount of oxygen leftover after combustion. If there is too much oxygen, the PCM richens (adds fuel) the mixture. If too little, it leans (takes away fuel) the mixture. Under a dead miss condition, along with unburned fuel, lots of extra oxygen is added to the exhaust as well. This results in low voltage from the O2 sensors signaling the PCM that the engine is running lean, so it adds fuel. So not only do the missing cylinders pump out unburned fuel, but as a result, cause the working cylinders to burn even more fuel.

The reason I say it most likely won't be an easy fix is because the early 4.7 liter engines had problems with the valve seats coming out of the head. It can cause the cam followers to pop out as well. Though it's possible that it's something as simple as spark plugs. A compression test should reveal whether or not the seats have dropped. Considering the condition, I would start with a compression test first and go from there. I seriously doubt that it is a programming issue. It may be a good idea to stick some new spark plugs in after doing the compression test. The other possibility is injectors, stuck or plugged. The way I usually verify this is moving ones from the non-firing cylinders to a known good and put the known good injector into the non firing cylinder. If the miss changes to the cylinder that was once working, you know that injector is bad. This test may also work with the spark plugs, if you want to check before just replacing them. But most likely, I would say your problem is internal and mechanical ( the dropped valve seats).

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or need further information, feel free to ask. There is no need to accept until you are satisfied.

-Ken

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you thank you thank you any other suggestions than the ones ive been given are worth 9 dollars for sure.Considering the 120 dollars it cost at the gas pump every 50-60 miles. I made an apointment for tomarrow to do the compression check and spark plug replacement at 1:00 if i can figure out how to contact u directly i would b more than eager to let u no the results of the situation,if u r interested!
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX thank you again for your time and expertice opinion.Oh yea my name is XXXXX XXXXX im from Humboldt county California
Expert:  mbkenw replied 6 years ago.

You can post any replies here with more information, it comes directly to me via e-mail. Even after you accept the answer, I can answer any further questions you have without having to open a new question. Just post it here like you just did. I am interested in knowing the results, and helping you as much as I can. Thank you.

-Ken.

P.S. I will be away from my computer until tomorrow afternoon. If you need anything further, you can post it here and I will assist you as soon as I return. Thanks