brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2006 Dodge Ram 1500: Noticed shifter says its in Reverse, not Park

2006 Dodge Ram 1500, 32k miles. Tried to start. Noticed shifter says it''s in Reverse, not Park. Discovered transmission was overfilled. Managed to pump 1/2 gal of fluid out dip stick tube. Now reads OK cold. Removed solenoid under dash that holds shift lever in park and moved lever thru all gears. Dash indicator - PRND321 - seem to show, except that it skips Neutral and will not go into Park. Replaced solenoid which again locks shifter in park, but dash indicator still says its in Reverse and, it still won''t start.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Did you try adjusting the shifter cable at the transmission? Also when replying send me VIN# XXXXX I know which transmission you have to help diagnosis the problem.

Thanks,

JB

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did not try to adjust the shifter cable at the transmission. I looked at the transmission and did identify that cable coming from under the dash and connected to the shifter mechanism, but did not touch it. Frankly, wouldn't know how to begin but I'm open to learn.

VIN 1D7HA16N26J105737
Expert:  brownjeff replied 6 years ago.

Try adjusting the cable for the shift interlock, I will attach the procedure. This sounds like the problem you are having unless there is a mechanical problem in the transmission? In order to check that just remove the shift cable from the transmission and see if you can manually shift the transmission into gear and then see if it starts.

Try these and if you still need help just reply, if not click ACCEPT when we are done.

Thanks,

JB

ADJUSTMENTS - BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK

Correct cable adjustment is important to proper interlock operation. The gearshift cable must be correctly adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1 - STEERING COLUMN
2 - GEARSHIFT CABLE
3 - GEARSHIFT CABLE LOCK TAB
4 - BTSI SOLENOID LOCK TAB
5 - BTSI CONNECTOR

1. Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
  2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
  3. Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab (4) and the gearshift cable lock tab (3).(Brake transmission interlock mechanism)
  4. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
  5. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
  6. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
  7. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
  8. Push the gearshift cable lock tab (3) down until it snaps in place.
  9. Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
  10. Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
  11. Push the BTSI lock tab (4) down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
  12. Install any steering column trim previously removed.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

1. Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
  2. When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate from off to lock.
  3. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
  4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force, and ignition key cylinder is in the run or start positions, unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12mm).
  5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or lock position.
  6. Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake with ignition switch in run or start positions.
  7. Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
  8. With shifter lever in the:
    • PARK position - Apply upward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
    • PARK position - Apply downward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply upward force on the shift arm. Transmission shall not be able to shift from neutral to reverse.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,