sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do you remove and replace a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan ...

Customer Question

How do you remove and replace a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan A/C Evaporator Core ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.
You have to remove the steering column and the entire dash from the van, then remove the heater box and disassemble it. You will be working around the airbags. This job can take 6-8 hours for a trained tech to do in a shop with air tools and all needed tools. If this is a job you think you can handle, I can round up the instrcutions, but it will take a few minutes as they are quite invovled as you could imagine.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I Need step by step Information I know that you have to remove things to change out the core I need to know what.
It will take me a couple minutes to compile it, be back in a minute.
  1. Set parking brake.
  2. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  3. Using a refrigerant recovery machine, remove refrigerant from the A/C system
  4. Remove wiper arms, wiper cowl cover, unplug wiper motor connector , remove wiper bucket assembly from firewall
  5. Pinch off rear heater lines if equipped.
  6. Drain engine coolant. Remove heater hoses at the heater core Plug coolant lines
  7. Remove suction and liquid lines at the expansion valve
  8. Remove the lower console.
  9. Remove the screw holding the lower heat duct to the instrument panel support
  10. Disconnect the heat duct from the vehicle.
  11. Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the instrument panel frame
  12. Remove the bolts holding the lower supports to the floor pan.
  13. Remove the right and left end covers. .
  14. Disconnect the wire connectors from the Passenger Airbag Module.
  15. Remove the right and left cowl trim covers.
  16. Remove the A-pillar trim covers.
  17. Remove the glove box. .
  18. Disconnect the antenna lead connector from behind the glove box.
  19. Remove the lower steering column cover. Remove the knee blocker reinforcement. Disconnect the lower two, forty pin wire harness connectors, from the main Junction Block near left cowl side panel
  20. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the bottom of Body Control Module.
  21. Disconnect the two forty pin connectors from the right of the steering column
  22. Remove the clinch bolt holding upper the steering shaft to the lower steering shaft
  23. Separate the upper steering shaft from the lower steering shaft.
  24. Remove the nuts holding the instrument panel frame to the die-cast brake pedal support on each side of the steering column.
  25. With mechanical transmission range indicator:
    1. Remove the indicator cable loop.
    2. Remove the clip holding gear shift cable end to the gear selector adapter.
    3. Pull the cable end from gear selector.
    4. Disconnect the clip for the indicator cable and guide tube from the shift cable bracket and move out of the way.
  26. Remove the nut holding gear shift cable bracket to the instrument panel frame.
  27. Remove the bracket from the instrument panel.
  28. Remove the screw holding hood release handle to the instrument panel.
  29. Remove the bolt holding the hood release handle to the instrument panel.
  30. Position the hood release handle out of the way.
  31. Remove the instrument panel top cover.
  32. Disconnect the wire connector from the HVAC wire harness behind the glove box area.
  33. Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the brackets on cowl side panels and driver's side instrument panel
  34. Loosen , but do not remove, the pivot bolts holding the instrument panel to the cowl panels.
  35. If equipped with electric mirrors, remove the left and right side view mirrors. Refer to Body, Removal and Installation, Side View Mirrors. Push the A-pillar harness grommets inboard.
  36. Remove the bolts holding the instrument panel frame to the dash panel below windshield opening.
  37. With the help of an assistant remove the instrument panel from vehicle.
  38. Remove heater ducts.
  39. Disconnect the two upper mounts from the upper reinforcement and the lower mount from the tunnel.
  40. Remove the (3) nuts (in the engine compartment) securing the unit to the dash panel
  41. Disconnect the HVAC housing wiring harness.
  42. Pull the entire unit rearward until the studs on the unit clear the dash panel. Drop the unit down. Pull it rearward to remove it from vehicle.
    1. Place HVAC unit assembly on workbench.
    2. Remove distribution housing mounting screws
    3. Remove blower motor cover Remove blower motor wiring grommet and feed wiring through blower housing
    4. Remove blower motor screws. Remove blower motor from housing Remove recirculation door cover
    5. Remove Recirc. door
    6. Remove screws around the perimeter of the upper HVAC housing

CAUTION: Do not damage the insulation barrier surrounding the evaporator.

7. Carefully pull up on evaporator and remove from housing
    8. If replacing evaporator, drain and measure amount of oil from old evaporator and add new oil of the same amount (ND8 PAG) to the new evaporator before installing. Use SP 10 PAG oil for 2.5L diesel and 2.0L gasoline engine vehicles
  43. ASSEMBLY - EVAPORATOR HOUSING

1. For reassembly of the evaporator housing, reverse the above procedures.
    2. Perform the HVAC control Calibration Diagnostic and Cooldown test.