sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

98 dodge: 4x4 auto trans stuck in 4 wheel drive at transfer case

98 dodge ram 4x4 auto trans stuck inXXXXXat transfer case. Any ideas on a fix?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 years ago.
Does the transfer case shift lever move, or is it stuck? Have you tried popping the linkage off the transfer case and manually shifting it to see what happens? Are you sure the problem is in the transfer case and not the vacuum disconnect at the front axle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: I took it to the garage and they said that the front end is what is locked up. They said that some kind of actuator in the front diff needs replaced and that Borg Warner makes such a part for around 100 dollars. Do you know what part they are talking about? They just took my front drive shaft off for now...
This is the vacuum disconnect. It gets vacuum from the switch on the transfer case when you put it intoXXXXX and it locks the outer shaft to the intermediate shaft to lock the differential together. I thought this was the most likely failure area, I was going to have you check the vacuum to it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Can you tell me the part number for what I need?
The part number for the factory Mopar part is 04882682, and it is $281, should be available next day at any dealer.