sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2005 Dodge Caravan: check engine light..rpms..this-the van ran fine

I have a 2005 Dodge Caravan. The check engine light just came on and the engine starts missing and loses power at about 2500 rpms. Any ideas as to what is causing this-the van ran fine over the weekend on a trip we took.
Lets start by seeing what codes are stored in your van. With the doors closed cycle the key from off to on 3 times and end with it on. Watch the digital odometer for the codes. They start with a p and have 4 numbers, there may be more than one code. Write them down and post them here and I will tell you what to do.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: By cycle from on to off, do you mean to start the car and turn it off three times, or just turn the key to the on position w/out having the starter engage? We are experiencing some difficulty w/ starting the van right now too.
No, you are not going to crank the engine, you only go to the run position. Turn it from off to on 3 times within about 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: Thanks, it showed p0016, p0344, and p0340.

Ok, great. All of these codes and your starting problem all tie in together. The p0016 is cam/crank sensor misalignment, the p0344 is cam sensor signal intermittent, and the p0340 is cam sensor circuit. Your van has a sensor that tells the engine controller where the crankshaft position is, and one that does the same for the camshaft. It needs both of these signals to fire the coils and the injectors at the right time. You have one of 2 problems with your van. It could be a broken wire to the cam sensor, or it could be the sensor itself. Look over the wiring to the sensor, look for any rub throughs or places it could be pinched or broken. If you see nothing the best thing you could do is replace the cam sensor. Here is a picture of the sensor location. I advise you to use a Mopar sensor from a dealer. Aftermarket electrical parts have been known to not work right out of the box.

It is located on the top of the timing cover at the front of the rear cylinder head.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX print out your answer and provide it to a mechanic on Monday. I just have two other questions, it it Ok to drive and is it usually very expensive to have this problem fixed?
It should be ok to drive, as long as it starts up it shouldn't die, but it will not run right. Be careful though, it may decide to die. It shouldn't cost too much to fix it, I would say about $130 give or take a little if you are going to have a shop do it.