sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Engine shudders when accelerating, even when not the ...

Engine shudders when accelerating, even when not the transmission is not engaged. This happens at all speeds, the transmission shifts smoothly, can run at interstate speeds, just a minor shudder and vibration. No overheating, etc. Took it to a local mechanic that I use, he said it seems that one cylinder is not firing. Did not have time to scope it but said to bring it back on Monday and that it was ok to drive until then. ERG valve? Spark plug? What???
The most likely cause for the misfire is a spark plug or wire. It could go deeper into the engine but these are the first things to check. Check the wires for signs of arcing, they may need to be replaced if your mileage is high anyway, the same for the spark plugs. Is your engine light on? Lets check for codes. With the doors closed cycle the key from off to on 3 times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. The codes start with a p and have 4 numbers, there may be more than one code. If you see any codes, write them down and post them here and I will tell you what to do.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'll get the codes and post them as soon as possible. Thank you. Once the codes are in and a response is given I'll accept. Thank you again, first time using service.
Ok, I'll be watching for your response.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
P1684 shows and then done on the next turn.
This code only means that your battery was disconnected. Disconnecting the battery would have cleared any other important codes out of it. In this case, I would definitely replace the plugs and wires if you haven't already and see if it runs better.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: Will the code that shows the issue come back?
If there was a code stored for whatever the problem is, and the problem is still happening the code will come back once you drive it for a little bit. Depending on which code it was it may take more or less miles to reset, depending on what self test it has to fail and how severe the problem is.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: 0203 showed up today after driving it for a while
Ok, good. P0203 is injector number 3 control circuit. This makes sense as to whey it feels like one cylinder is not running- the number 3 cylinder is not running! You could have a bad injector in the number 3 cylinder, a broken wire between the engine controller and the injector, or the engine controller itself could be bad. I can give you some wiring information if you have a volt/ohm meter and are willing to dive into some wiring tests to see what the problem is, or if you can't do it you could wait and bring it to the shop Monday. It shouldn't hurt the van to drive it if the engine light is not flashing.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to sprinkles08's Post: OK thanks. Any estimate as to what each of the possible issues would cost to get repaired parts wise and labor hours?
If it was an injector it would be about $70, plus an hour or hour and a half to install it. If it was a wiring problem it may take an hour or two to find and repair. If the engine controller itself was bad (lets hope its not), it would be about $665, plus an hour to replace and program it.