Shawn
Shawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  PA Certified Inspection emissions, ASE Brakes Suspension, Lead diagnostic Tech.20 years exp

How do you remove the front brake rotor on a 1999 Dodge Ram ...

Customer Question

How do you remove the front brake rotor on a 1999 Dodge Ram 4x4 2500? I have removed the caliper and the large hub nut but the rotor won''t budge. I''ve applied penetrating oil as best I can to the spline. Do I need to remove the 4 hub retaining bolts and if so why? If not, will I need a puller or will persistent hammering loosen it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.
Customer

You must remove the hub and rotor as an assembly so you will need to remove the 4 hub retaining bolts. These hubs are known to seize in the knuckle and can be a real bear to remove so a puller would help along with persistent hammering. You will most likely find that you will need to purchase the entire assembly from Dodge unless you get lucky enough to get the hub out without damage and get the rotor seperated from the hub afterwards.

Shawn

Shawn, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: PA Certified Inspection emissions, ASE Brakes Suspension, Lead diagnostic Tech.20 years exp
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'd don't understand how the hub retaining bolts function...... how can they be holding something that rotates? Can you help me with that part of it please?
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

Sure can.

The stationary part of the hub does not retain the rotor. The rotor is retained by the wheel studs. The rotor mates to the backside of the hub where the studs run through. The wheel studs then press through the rotor and into the hub. Once the hub assembly is removed the wheel studs need to be pressed out or can be knocked out with a punch but care must be taken not to damage the studs. You then place the new rotor over the hub assembly the same way it came off and drive or press the studs through the rotor stud holes and the hub stud holes then replace the hub/rotor assembly.

The problem lies in removing the hub/rotor assembly due to they seize pretty tight as stated above. A slide hammer attached to the wheel studs can help with removal but doesn't always work. You can remove the 4 hub retaining bolts about halfway and use them to start driving the assembly out. The hub may also just come out easily for you. I havn't had one come out easy yet but it can happen. I'm in the northeast so corrosion is a factor here.

Shawn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok I guess.........still confusing about the way the 4 bolts work, I can't figure out what they hold. A drawing or diagram would be great.

You've been helpful and I'll accept right after this reply.

Thanks
Expert:  Shawn replied 6 years ago.

No problem. Here is the hub to help understand a little better. In the pic you see the 4 bolt flange that bolt to the knuckle. The actual hub is the round part that is pressed into the bearing assembly or 4 bolt flange. looking at it as it sits in the oic, the rotor drops down over the 4 bolt flange and mates against the round hub. The wheel studs drive through the 2 and keeps them together then the whole assembly, rotor/hub/bearing, bolts back to the knuckle. Since the rotor is behind the round hub the whole assembly has to come off to remove the rotor.

graphicPictures do help so much.

Shawn

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the further explanation and the picture, like they say, a pic is worth a thousand words.

I took one shot at loosening the hub bolts with a breaker bar and pipe extension without luck and have decided to take it to my local mechanic who has the tools and expertise.....too much for me to fuss with and to risk damaging somthing.

Thanks much.